Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 99

DJP-37-120, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Updating old headlight bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hello all and Happy New Year!

I just found one of my headlight bulbs is burnt out. I was wondering if anyone used one of those new LED or halogen bulbs ( an example of one is "CEC Industries #2330 Bulbs, 6.2/6.2 V, 25.6/25.6 W, P15d Base, RP-11 shape" from Amazon ) I'm looking to get more light primarily (for safety reasons) and yes I have all new wiring throughout so no problem there. Has anybody used bulbs like these and had any luck, good or bad with them?

Thanks!
Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/31 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Updating old headlight bulbs
Just popping in
Just popping in

Donald Cochrane
See User information
I'm hoping someone will chime in as well.

Donald

Posted on: 2018/1/4 13:04
the second mouse got the cheese...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hirsch has halogen 6-volt bulbs galore, and has for a decade or more so I'd be surprised if he didn't have that one. But all it takes on your part is a phone call. What made my '34 lamps completely adequate was just resilvering of the reflectors.

Posted on: 2018/1/4 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I would try the LED bulbs first. I had the 6 volt halogen bulbs in my '41. They draw a lot of current. Make sure your generator can handle the extra current if you go with the halogens.

Posted on: 2018/1/5 6:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi Steve,

I had a hard time finding 6v headlight bulbs until someone pointed me to this company www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com

The only thing is with these bulbs the highbeam is on all the time no matter where I have the switch at. They told me they have a fix for it (some type of jumper wire) but I have not ordered it yet which I will get to someday.

I had ordered leds from another company but the headlight bulbs I had purchased from them where something like 7.2v which naturally did not work on my 6v system.

Posted on: 2018/1/5 6:43
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Thank you all for your replies - Tom I've never seen this company before and I noticed it's in England. I'm surprised no American company has these LED's as there are a lot more classic and antique cars here than the UK. I prefer LED's to Halogen as the generator drain is much much less. So you're happy with your purchase of these LED's, Tom?

Steve

Posted on: 2018/1/7 13:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bob Gleason
See User information
This past year at Hershey I spoke with Anthony Pearson of Classic and Vintage Bulbs, his website is <http://classicandvintagebulbs.com/>

I just dug out the flyer that he gave me, he carries both halogen and LED bulbs for vintage cars.

He is located in Blackwood,SA, Australia, however he did mention that he had a distributor in the Metro Detroit Area.

I can PM his email if anyone needs it.

Bob

Posted on: 2018/1/7 17:50
1937 Packard Six 115-C Touring Sedan
Built in Windsor, ON Canada
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Donald Cochrane
See User information
I'd like to have it. Thank you for offering. I'm looking forward to trying LED's but would rather not use halogens as all the wiring in my 38 is original and I'm worried about the extra amp pull and overheating.

Donald

Posted on: 2018/1/7 21:12
the second mouse got the cheese...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Steve,

Yes I am happy with them compared to the incandescent which for some reason where blowing out on me.

My car has all new wiring etc and they still blew. Decided to go Led route since I did not want to blow the bulbs I have left. the leds are much brighter. I have them in the tail light also. I have leds for the fender lights but they did not fit. Still like to find some that will fit fender lights.

Posted on: 2018/1/7 22:43
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Just a cautionary note on the use of LED bulbs. I have fitted these to the tail lights of the 1608 Barrymore wheelchair accessible and they are excellent. However they do require good connections and will not fire under approx. 4.6 V. They are also Polarity sensitive and the South Australian bloke is very familiar with Packard Pos earth polarity. They are also very directional from behind and do not give quite as good a beam spread as a conventional Tungsten bulb, so are not as bright from 45 degree left or Right of the bulb. Still a very good investment as it allows better usuage of your generator capacity. This is particulary important with some of the earlier Packards with 12 - 15 amp generators.

All the best to everyone for 2018 and love the Site.

Peter Toet

Posted on: 2018/1/8 1:06
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved