Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

Packard Don, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do you flush Bijur lines?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Our recently acquired 1927 Six Convertible Coupe had not been used much since 1971. We are gradually going through all the systems to get it tour ready. I put a 10-30 oil in the container and pulled the handle but I could only see evidence of oil coming out at the front left spring.
Anxious to hear what methods owners have used to clear the lines.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 20:33
 Top  Print 

Re: How do you flush Bijur lines?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My suggestion is that you start at the end (the drip plugs), one at a time remove them and clean the felt filters which may very well be restricted with dirt after all these years. Then use something like a Lincoln pressure hand oiler to force-feed the line. For any lines that fail to deliver oil to the drip plug, you'll now need to clean the hard line. Feeding fine wire back thru the line sections to clear them has worked well for me.

You may also have a intake filter at the pump reservoir which should be cleaned. And you may have to remove the shackle bolts to clear the oil passages in them.

PS - don't forget the throwout bearing.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.75 KB)
177_5a56e58250988.jpg 684X793 px

Posted on: 2018/1/10 20:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Thanks for the idea.
Throw out bearing port is fine. I had just filled the transmission, and started testing the Bijur. Pulled the handle three times and went for a ride.
When I got home, oil started pouring out of the bell housing.
The next day I saw a puddle of oil under the car. My first thought was that the transmission seal was bad, but was very relieved when I checked the level...so I guess the throw out bearing was flooded.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 23:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...so I guess the throw out bearing was flooded.

Sounds like potential trouble, a risk that some of that oil will get onto the clutch surfaces. The feed to the throwout bearing is metered to be a VERY small amount so something would seem to need correction. Some folks install permanently sealed throwout bearings in which case the oil feed must be choked off.

Posted on: 2018/1/12 9:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved