Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Packard-built Custom Car Records
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Hyman. Ltd has a 1930 734 Boattail for sale which, according to the description, was delivered to Mrs. Sealey on 7/7/30 in Portland, OR.
I've asked Hyman's and the Lyon Museum, which owned the car previously, for any info more about Mrs. Sealey. The Hyman description include VIN info, too.
https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6033-1930-packard-734-speedster/

But I'm wondering if anyone has build order records for custom cars like this 734 to see if it was ordered at announcement time, like Aug 1929 before the Crash, but took a year to build. Or if, by spring of 1930, the person who ordered it cancelled the order and the car was offered at a bargain price.

I've seen articles stating that wealthy people, if they managed to preserve their wealth after the Crash, were not inclined to drive around in flashy, expensive cars even though they could afford them. The 734 Speedster would certainly have been in that category. Even more so in Portland.

I'm planning to visit the Oregon Historical Society archives today to do some research on Mrs. Sealey, who must have been quite a woman with a car like this.

Posted on: 2018/1/12 12:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard-built Custom Car Records
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have much information on this one. In 1958 it was owned by Mr. Julian Eccles of Klamath Falls, OR. Also noted that there were 12 other owners between 1939 and 1958.

Posted on: 2018/1/12 13:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Interesting, Dave, if you're going by the VIN.

I rode in Julian's car in 1975. He told me he loaned his speedster to Harrah's so they could cast parts from it, like manifold, head. In exchange they painted his car for him.

So I don't think this one for sale, once owned by Harrahs before being purchased by Gen Lyon, is the same as the one owned by Julian, unless Harrahs bought his after they borrowed it, but that would have been after 1975. Or their provenance isn't accurate.

Does anyone have PMC records of custom orders? Any other research suggestions on 734s or Packard-buit custom orders?

Posted on: 2018/1/12 13:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was going by body number (442-26).

Posted on: 2018/1/12 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Thinking WEST PETERSON is who could answer all ur questions. Believe his father Don has had his 734 longer than West is old.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the longest current owner of record of a 734 may be Fred Kanter who bought his (452-6) in 1972.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Ive often wondered the story about this 734 Runabout of Mrs. Sealey from Portland, Oregon. From what i remember the car is a rebody copied from Julian Eccles 734. If the car was in that poor of a state when it hit HARRAHs how did they trace it back to this Mrs Sealey? Grapevine there is a HARRAHs file of the car.

Posted on: 2018/1/15 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Examining the 1929 and 1930 Portland city directories, we found a Marie M Sealy (different from Sealey) living in Portland Heights (the primary neighborhood where wealthy families live), wife of Neagle P. Sealy, who owned a brokerage. The car may have been purchased in Mrs. Sealy's name for tax reasons. The Service and Sales Inc Packard dealership was located at 645 Washington St, Portland.

Part of this puzzle is that the car was delivered on July 7, 1930. How long after receiving an order, did it take Packard to build a 734 Speedster Runabout? Could you expect your car in a month or 2 or 6?

And why would someone order a car as conspicuous as this after the Crash, especially if one owned a brokerage?

Could the car have been ordered closer to announcement, typically in August, in 1929. Then the crash hit on Oct 24, 1929. Did an order require payment in advance?

Or perhaps the order for the car was cancelled because of the Crash by someone other than Sealy and Packard held it in inventory unable to sell it. Then, a month before the 1931models would be coming out, the price was greatly reduced and Sealy bought it.

So much conjecture. Yes, the Harrah archives have correspondence between the service manager and Julian Eccles. Julian told me his car was used by Harrah to cast some engine parts for a 734 they were restoring.

Posted on: 2018/1/15 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
From a HYMAN site of a few yrs back

"At some point during the 1960's or early 1970's, the Boattail body was built by the renowned Richard Kingston of California Metal Shaping, using an original 734 Speedster Runabout as a guide."

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/5895-1930-packard-734-speedster-runabout/

Have to wonder if this Mrs Sealey-y is one of those
HE SAID - SHE SAID
Love someone to put me straight.

Posted on: 2018/1/16 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Might this be the 734 owned by duBois-Reymond of Z?rich Switzerland during the 90's? If so I believe sometime prior to that it was located in South America (Argentina?).

Posted on: 2018/1/16 11:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved