Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear Stabilizer Rod Eye Bushing Replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Hello everyone,
I need to replace the rear stabilizer rod eye bushings (Group 13.11648 p/n 445340) on my '55 400. The outboard ones are simple, it's the inboard ones that have me scratching my head. Once I have removed the pins that go through the rod eye and install new bushings, what would I use to replace the pins that will be destroyed during removal? The clearances are to tight for nut and bolt substitutions. Is welding an option or will the heat generated from welding melt the new bushings and what about the next time the bushings need replacing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Brian

Posted on: 2018/2/2 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Stabilizer Rod Eye Bushing Replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are a PAC member the Nov 2017 Vol LXIV #11 issue of the Cormorant News Bulletin has an excellent article on the TL system, how everything interacts bushing and friction wise as well as info on improved urethane bushings available now and particularly the rear Watts Linkage and rear axle bushings.

I don't know if those news bulletins are available for purchase separately but if you do not have the issue maybe you could get in touch with Dwight Heinmullerhttp://www.packardparts.org and pick his brain on the best way to replace them. He wrote the article and may even have reprints available. He sells a kit of the improved bushings which as long as you are doing the work to replace some perhaps might be worth doing the others while things are apart.

I did mine many years ago and as I recall once the rivets were cut to remove the complete upper assy I was able to use bolts to put the upper piece back together and mount it to the frame. I don't remember if there was other stuff that had to be removed for access.

If I were to do it again I would go with the urethane bushings. I used NOS for mine at the time and can't speak to what current Steele linkage bushings are like but several have found that with some other suspension bushings the Steele rubber is too soft and has a short lifespan.

Posted on: 2018/2/2 14:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To reinstall, after grinding the heads off the pins to disassemble, I just drilled and tapped the pins for a small machine screw and washer. Many folks I've spoken to about this have taken the same approach. I used urethane bushings from Kanters.

Posted on: 2018/2/2 15:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Thank you Owen for that simple yet effective repair. I was way overthinking this whole thing and your solution made me think, "Why didn't I think of that?" The ole K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple" rule strikes again. I purchased my bushings from Max Merritt. Not sure of their composition. Should I grease the bushings with a thin film of chassis lube inside and out during assembly to avoid squeaks or will that only collect dirt and lead to an early demise?
Brian

Posted on: 2018/2/2 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wouldn't use any lubricant, and especially not a chassis grease if the bushings are rubber.

Posted on: 2018/2/2 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I used graphite.. Not sure where you can buy it.

Dry flake...not liquid...

Posted on: 2018/2/4 6:08
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Graphite...good idea. I have some that I use on my door locks. Thank you. Thanks everyone for helping me with this repair. I can't wait to see if this repair makes any difference in the ride and handling. It will definitely get rid of the rattle. One set of the inner bushings was completely gone, metal on metal. Next job is the axle seals and pinion seal. Thank you all again.
Brian

Posted on: 2018/2/4 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
I use P-80 Emulsion, a temporary rubber assembly lubricant. It is biodegradable and dries up in about an hour leaving no remaining lubrication. It is made by International Products Corp and is available many places. I purchased a 10ml tube from SpaDepot.com for $4.95.

Posted on: 2018/2/4 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Silicon spray also works as a lube on rubber parts and you can buy it at any Auto Parts store or even Walmart.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 13:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Didn't Steele Rubber once suggest soap and water, or am I just all wet.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/2/5 21:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved