Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
At 7:45pm the Packard arrived!

Didn't take long to lower the tilt tray and undo the restraints. It then started up easily and was driven into the garage where it now sits in residence. Will be doing a lot of checking tomorrow in preparation for its Registration check on Monday.

Attach file:

jpg  (356.50 KB)
226_5a87f48d0cd60.jpg 1600X1287 px

jpg  (369.87 KB)
226_5a87f4a48b70d.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (445.96 KB)
226_5a87f4c83f5e3.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (323.06 KB)
226_5a87f4dc7d113.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2018/2/17 4:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Would this be a 288 or a 327 engine? John

Posted on: 2018/2/17 8:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
If the engine is original, it is a 288. From the photos, it appears to be painted in Egyptian Sand, just like my 1950 Touring Sedan. I hope you have as much fun with your new purchase as I have been. I am constantly amazed how many heads get turned by it in Atlanta traffic.

I note that you have an Aussie-comfortable RHD version. Is the gear change lever pointing to the left and the turn signal to the right of the steering wheel? If so, is first gear towards the driver and down and second away and up?

Posted on: 2018/2/17 10:23

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

It's a 288, with the serial number indicating that its the original engine. Also, has been fitted with a 327 head at some time in its past.

Dave,

".....it appears to be painted in Egyptian Sand, just like my 1950 Touring Sedan." I'm confused, normal for me, because the colour, I was told by the previous owner, is Sea(?) Green. I thought Egyptian Sand was a light yellowish tan colour?

"Is the gear change lever pointing to the left and the turn signal to the right of the steering wheel?" - Yes.

".....is first gear towards the driver and down and second away and up?" - Yes.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 13:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sunday 18th February, 2018

Morning was spent familiarising myself with the Packard, First was sorting out the keys, supposedly 2 sets, but more like one and three quarters. All different styles so matched tooth profiles and tried fitting to ignition, door, boot(trunk) and glovebox. I know, I know, probably should only have 2 keys to cover everything but who knows what has happened during the almost 70 year life of this Packard? And speaking of the glovebox, the box itself is very air-conditioned with large holes in each corner. What I did find in it was a 5c coin, Is that a goodluck sign? Checked the fluids, radiator needed 2 litres of water, oil is at low mark, couldn't undo master cylinder cap because I've hurt my right hand/wrist which restricts the amount of force I can use and finally the battery which looks low in a number of cells.

Inspected the body, which has thinning paint in many areas, with some surface rust appearing, but nevertheless very serviceable. Also has little rust spots adjacent to trim strips but nothing of concern. Weather stripping around the doors is perishing, as is rubber seal for the boot(trunk). Interior is mostly fair to good. Upholstery on seats is good, and seats are comfortable, although the first long trip will either prove or disprove than notion. The drivers door card, remember this is RHD, is wearing in one spot, while the front passenger door has the front part of the lower trim strip separating from the card/door. And for my Packard door handle benefactor, from what I can see, there is no difference between the interior front and rear door handles, either window winders or the door handles themselves. But will be looking, when at Hershey later this year, for an exterior left rear door handle and surround. This one is just not in as good condition as the other three, which are all very presentable.

Then brought Kath, my wife, into play to check on the working of all the lights and indicators. And they do. Horn works, while wipers, which have been converted to electric, also work and the auxiliary fans work. Kath is also very concerned about the cars appearance and is encouraging me to polish it as soon as possible, if not sooner! Won't happen until the hand/wrist is in some sort of better order. She's also suggesting that rechroming of some of the brightwork is in order. I quickly dissuaded her of that idea, she really didn't know how much rechroming costs! Besides this really is a driver and has no pretensions whatsover of joining the show circuit.

Started up without a worry and backed it out for some photos in the sunshine. Speaking of starting it up, its been converted to key start at some time in its past. Now uses a Holden ignition switch and key, one of the reasons it has so many keys! Besides 350 Holleys don't come equipped to operate the floor starter switch system! The bonnet(hood) opening system is great, except when one is inconvenienced by a sore hand/wrist. I think tomorrow, when I take it for its registration check, the mechanic John, will be impressed by this feature. Or if he isn't, I'm pretty sure Will his son will be!

Tomorrow, all going well, will be on the road again.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.01 KB)
226_5a895e005aec1.jpg 844X633 px

jpg  (44.58 KB)
226_5a895e1be0dbd.jpg 779X584 px

jpg  (46.45 KB)
226_5a895e2cc67ec.jpg 779X584 px

jpg  (63.29 KB)
226_5a895e3f82dc6.jpg 779X584 px

jpg  (21.33 KB)
226_5a895e4bb5c2a.jpg 438X584 px

jpg  (93.04 KB)
226_5a895e5b24cf5.jpg 1055X584 px

jpg  (73.03 KB)
226_5a895e6760829.jpg 779X584 px

Posted on: 2018/2/18 6:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
to Gerd(Guscha) my Avatar has now been updated to the '50 Packard. Thank you again Gerd!

Posted on: 2018/2/18 6:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Not familiar with these models,
Were the back up lights an extra add on?
This car had two, I don't remember seeing one with two back up lights before.

Posted on: 2018/2/18 11:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Looks like a great car to me. Hope it brings lots of enjoyment. Overdrive?

John

Posted on: 2018/2/18 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Mal, she looks like a great old girl. Polish her up and let her sparkle! Ernie

Posted on: 2018/2/18 12:58
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Mal

That's very light wear for a 1950 car! Packard added a non-metallic Ash Green, Paint Scheme Q, Code No. 2603 in January 1950 according to Mr. Neal's Packard 1948 To 1950. By the way, do you have a copy of that great book? If not, we need to do something about that! I'd suggest you get a set to wheel trim rings for it sometime, they'd help set it off with blackwalls. Good luck and enjoy it.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/2/18 13:48
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved