Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

pmhowe, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How does the packard clipper start with gas pedal?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Make sure there are no vacuum leaks and also the voltage at the coil is staying above 5v when the starter is cranking. A weak battery and resulting low voltage at the coil will cause a poor spark. A vacuum leak will make it too lean. There is something odd in the tubing on the wiper motor. I think this may have come up before and they might have been washer hoses just placed on the motor for convenience The one on the bottom middle and top drivers side should not be on the motor going in directions where they appear to be heading. Make sure there is no chance they are active vacuum hoses and letting free air into the manifold.

It was not uncommon in the day to have the carb switch as well as an extra pushbutton for the "emergency" times. My dad added one to all his Packards and I have one on my 47 so while it may be personal preference, done tastefully no one need ever know. There are some holes in the dash edge and if there are no other accessories one might be large enough for a PB to mount vertically. If not you could drill a hole or even add a bracket to hold the switch horizontally. On a bracket it could even look like an aftermarket windshield washer button which while not exactly correct for the car you have, was still very possible in the day.

If the switch you already have is not presentable universal Cole-Hersee or other brand switches are readily available. Here is one rather discreet switch.https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Push-Button-Starter-Switch-15-Amp-12-Volt-42210/112577111879?epid=658615105&hash=item1a361e6747:g:gH8AAOSwbsBXn2yQ&vxp=mtr

Posted on: 2018/2/18 17:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Biggest problem people normally have when it comes to starting is
1) Weak Battery, doesn't matter age of battery just it's fully charged and has enough amps to crank and fire at the same time. Checkout the tune up manual on this web site how to check this.
2) Correct cables, to small of cables or corroded battery cables.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/2/19 1:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had the pedal starter on my 1951, 1952 and 1953 drivers and never had any trouble in all the years I drove them. If the car is cranking but not starting, it's nothing to do with the starter switch! It could be that the starter is weak or needs service but more likely it's undersize battery cables. Be sure to use at least 0 gauge but 00 gauge is even better. The local auto parts stores rarely carry these heavy cables so you may have to look around to find them.

Posted on: 2018/2/19 4:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved