Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Horn on a '55 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The horn doesn't work when the horn ring is depressed. I removed the steering wheel and when I manually establish ground the horn works. There is very little movement or play in the horn ring for it to make contact so I'm thinking that it may not be put together correctly.

I've looked at Service Bulletins Vol. 29 NO8 and Vol. 30 NO4 and they don't seem to provide enough light on the subject for me to determine what's going wrong. I have included a photo of the inside section where the contact plate is required to make contact and I'm wondering if it is correct. Does someone out there have a few pictures or is there an exploded view of what the assembly?

Attach file:

jpg  (223.58 KB)
1063_5a8685620da89.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2018/2/16 2:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Horn on a '55 Caribbean
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Make sure the contacting parts are nice and clean. Dirt/Rust/Etc could be blocking the path to ground.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 11:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The contact services are clean. I'm concerned centers on how the contact plate touches the metal ring in the photo as there does not seem to be enough play in the ring for that to happen. I even made washers to move the horn ring in ~1/4" and there is still a problem.

Posted on: 2018/2/19 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I was kind of hoping someone would come along with photos too but if nothing appears am tempted to take mine apart just to satisfy my own curiosity. It is too long since my wheel was off to remember the parts layout but an illustration in the parts manual looks like there may be a wave washer parts calls a contact spring that fits around the insulator to push the assy up and ensure contact with the wheel. Is that what is happening and if so, is the washer present and plastic insulator in good condition and not cracked or piece broken off where a spring might be wanting to push? Is there a space between the wheel and that contact ring so the connection is broken? Does the wheel have a smooth contact surface that would mate with the ring or do you have photos of the under side of the wheel?

Like earlier models, on a 55 the steering shaft length is fixed and any adjustment needs to be made by loosening clamps at the steering box and under the dash then moving the shroud and column in relation to the shaft. In doing that you need to make sure the center ring forming the inner race of the bearing located under the large spring is loose so the column can move. How large a gap do you have between the wheel and upper part of shroud?

The earlier wheels all make the switching connection within the wheel. Ground is made via the steering shaft to part of the wheel and the wire to relay side makes permanent contact with a separate insulated part of the wheel. The grounded side can touch the insulated side when pushed. I sort of suspect the 55-6 does the same thing but cannot say what the exact electrical path is without taking it apart to study,

Attach file:

jpg  (47.85 KB)
209_5a8b04db236c8.jpg 860X598 px

Posted on: 2018/2/19 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I don't have access to the car right now, but I don't recall a wafer spring. I will be able to look in a couple of days and when I do, I'll post some more pictures including under the steering wheel.

Posted on: 2018/2/20 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I've reviewed the Horn.jpg and it appears that everything is there and installed in the correct order. When I have everything that I have assembled per the Horn.jpg I measure 12 volts between the chrome plated horn ring and the nut that holds the steering wheel. Shorting out the two, the horn blasts away with mush bravado.

I think the problem lies in what may be missing behind the horn button that sits in the horn ring. Is there a drawing or can someone remove the horn button so I can see what lies between the horn button and the steering if there is anything at all?

Posted on: 2018/2/23 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
This is a Clipper sterring wheel.

I am not able to load more pictures from my iPad right now.

Attach file:

jpeg  (216.60 KB)
1220_5a91a2b167aa8.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/2/24 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information

It appears there is a spring and large washer behind the horn ring. I missing all that stuff and that's probably where the horn ring makes contact.

I need to figure out what all that stuff is and where I can get it .

Posted on: 2018/2/24 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I'm not sure why I could post that picture but not any more.

Group 4.10
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/04_Electrical.pdf

Posted on: 2018/2/24 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Could you email them to me? If so, I will PM my email address to you.

Posted on: 2018/2/25 8:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved