Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

53 Cavalier, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Rear Seal on a Twin Ultrmatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
While the pan gasket on the transmission has had a slight leak since I've had the car, the rear seal on the car just started leaking. Is it possible to replace the rear seal on the transmission with it in the car?

If it is, I'll also replace the pan gasket. I read the recent reply by Howard on another post and will also do what he has suggested. The transmission works great, but is there anything that needs to be looked into while the pan is off.

Posted on: 2018/2/22 11:45
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Rear Seal on a Twin Ultrmatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross would probably be the best to answer on the seal since he has undoubtedly done more than most of us but the tail shaft can be removed by itself rather than the entire trans as long as the trans is supported. Instructions are in SM and not terrible. 55 has the extra step of removing the long thru bolt that goes thru the driveshaft flange to the output shaft which was eliminated for 56.

While the pan is off check the condition of the screen and also the pot metal lever connecting the operating shaft to the manual valve. A known issue is the threads in the lever stripping and letting the setscrew loosen resulting in slop and eventual failure of the operator lever to move the manual valve. Good insurance would be to make sure the setscrew and lever is tight to the shaft then drill a hole thru lever and shaft for a 1/8" roll pin. Also verify the small pin connecting the link between the manual valve and the lever is in good condition and is not about ready to drop out.

Posted on: 2018/2/22 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Rear Seal on a Twin Ultrmatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Packard used that threaded tool to screw into the seal..then the bolt to back it out

I bought a Chrysler one but did not work. If you have the neoprene seal..that should come right out..

Posted on: 2018/2/22 16:57
Riki
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved