Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Heater contol valve--54 Cavalier
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
I am writing the forum to see if anyone out there would send me a photo of the heater hose arrangement for my 54/300. Four hoses total: Two hoses come up from the under-seat heater on the passenger side, and then there are the two hoses on top of the engine now. The four hoses attach 2 to the heater control valve and 2 to the heater box. A photo of this arrangement would be greatly appreciated. Thx to all.

Posted on: 2018/2/26 19:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater contol valve--54 Cavalier
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David,
Do you have a service manual?
If not there is one on this site.
I don't see the reference in the 51-54 Service manual.

The 55-56 service manual has some information, but for the V8.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect3_Accessories.pdf

Posted on: 2018/2/26 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 54 heater hose setup is virtually identical to the 55-6 with one exception. In the 55-6 the hot water is supplied from the rear of the engine via a molded hose going behind the heater box to the thermal valve but in the 54 it is supplied from the center of the head via a straight length of hose which goes in front of the heater box to the valve inlet.

Here are a some factory illustrations showing the routing. The first is a photo showing the 51-4 hot water supply hose leaving the head, going between the carb and heater box to the valve inlet. The valve outlet then goes to the side inlet of the front heater core. In the single heater which is shown in the photo, the front outlet of the core would go to the water pump return. In the second illustration of a 55-6 (and identical to the 54) dual heater, if the optional underseat heater is installed the front core outlet goes to the underseat heater instead of the water pump return and the underseat core outlet then goes to the water pump return port.

To avoid intermittent noise from the valve the third illustration shows the way it should be plumbed so pressure from the pump circulating the coolant doesn't force the valve stopper off it's seat.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.35 KB)
209_5a94b0ecd1f52.jpg 1118X838 px

jpg  (133.07 KB)
209_5a94b112c2439.jpg 1056X1480 px

jpg  (36.77 KB)
209_5a94b44ccd4b3.jpg 650X730 px

Posted on: 2018/2/26 20:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Thank you for these heater hose routing photos. In my first email to the forum I forgot to attach a photo that I use to help me place these hoses and I miscounted on the number of hoses. Starting over, there are the three hoses in the attached photo "plus" the two hoses coming from the under seat heater. Using the 2nd photo that you sent I cannot see both hoses to and from the heater control valve.
Years ago when I unhooked these hoses to remove the engine for rebuild I totally forgot to take many photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.78 KB)
3440_5a9550d102f97.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2018/2/27 7:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
**I do have the 51-54 service manual, but as stated it does not show the heater hose arrangement. I don't follow what you wrote about "his site."

**In setting these hoses up as per original, it all starts with that photo of the heater control valve "in" and "out" locations. The two hoses coming up from the under seat heater has to comply with that "in" and "out" situation. I think possibly that the smallest hose in my hose photo is pulled completely off; then the "out" opening from the HCV attaches to the "out" hose under-seat and the "in" under seat attaches to the bottom of the heater box. The 2 long hoses in my photo stay where they are now.

**all of this restated: the small "out" hose on the HCV is removed/discarded; then the matching hose from under seat goes to that "out" side. The other remaining under seat hose goes to the bottom left side of the heater box. I think this follows all of the in/out fluid flow. Again the 2 longer hoses in my photo stay in place.

Posted on: 2018/2/27 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David,

I have corrected my post from his to this site.
Sorry for the confusion, I missed that.

See you at the Texas Packard Meet.

Posted on: 2018/2/27 8:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

David Driveway wrote:
**all of this restated: the small "out" hose on the HCV is removed/discarded; then the matching hose from under seat goes to that "out" side. The other remaining under seat hose goes to the bottom left side of the heater box. I think this follows all of the in/out fluid flow. Again the 2 longer hoses in my photo stay in place.

The photo is correct for a standard single heater. The hot water is supplied from the head, goes to the "IN" side of valve, out of the valve and into the bottom fitting of heater core and out the top of core to the water pump return side. The long return hose has a single clamp keeping it in position -- either on the fender inner side panel or the top of the blower

To install the optional underseat heater it is placed in series so the hose is removed from the top front tube coming out of the single core. A new hose is run to the underseat heater and then out the underseat heater and back to the water pump return side. It doesn't really matter which side of the underseat heater goes where just as long as the hoses drape neatly and are fastened so they cannot droop down and get damaged or pull so tight the one side kinks at the top as mentioned in the service article..

That route will provide the hottest water to the front heater where it can give the thermostatic valve the best reference to regulate temp and after going thru the front core the slightly cooler water will supply the underseat heater.

Posted on: 2018/2/27 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Howard, thanks for the reply. Getting back to you the supply hose.jpg does not appear with your message--although it did show that there was a jpg when I printed out your message. Can you send me the supply hose.jpg again. Thx

Posted on: 2018/3/11 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can repost but you have an excellent and much better view of it in your Packard hoses photo above in post #4.

Supply comes thru the small length of hose behind the carb and clamped to the front of the heater box. It shows the connection to the in side of the water valve and the other end is coming from the water outlet located at top mid head but hidden by the carb in the photo..

Posted on: 2018/3/11 16:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
I know that photo I posted above (fenders off) is for a single heater system and that is the way I had it connected while the HCV was being rebuilt. But hooking back up the under seat heater I think I had it this way in earlier years: hose from the center of the head to the HCV inlet; hose coming out the HCV goes to one side of the under-seat heater and coming out of the under-seat heater to the bottom of the heater box. From the bottom of the heater box, going out at the top of the heater box to the water pump, water pump taking water back to the center of the head. I would still like to see your photos to see what is different. Send by private message if that is better. Thanks, David

Posted on: 2018/3/11 16:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved