Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Using water soluble oil in radiator to lubricate the water pump ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Has anyone heard of using water soluble oil in the radiator to lubricate the water pump ? This would be for a '34 1101 718.
I don't find it as a topic on this forum, and have never heard of such a thing myself until just recently. And YES my water pump is making some noise.
Thanks for any info and guidance.
TomB

Posted on: 2018/3/1 5:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Using water soluble oil in radiator to lubricate the water pump ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I never heard of that but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. On a different note if packard was alive today would they use water lubricated bearings? They're getting very popular in marine applications.

Posted on: 2018/3/1 7:37
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, water soluble oil was a standard staple of the auto parts stores for decades. It was normally sold as a combination rust inhibitor and water pump lube. But stop for a minute and think about it - the bearings on a water pump are protected from the coolant by seals - so how is the oil soluble oil supposed to get to the bearings? Answer - it can't until the seal fails, and the bearing is doomed when the seal fails, whether or not the water soluble oil is present. The product may have been useful as a rust inhibitor, but not as a lubricant for water pump bearings.

Replacing bearings and seals on a '34 Packard Eight pump is a very simple matter, bearings and seals are standard items available at any decent bearing outlet. The original bearings were open bearings so you needed to regularly lubricate via the oiler on the pump housing. But today, just buy sealed bearings - keep the oiler for show.

Posted on: 2018/3/1 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I don't think it was meant to lube the water pump bearings, they were lubricated with a grease gun. It was meant to prevent wear on the seals. Also to prevent rust.

Every gas station used to have little cans of water pump lubricant on the shelf. Haven't seen them in years since everyone went to antifreeze coolant. Bar's Leaks is the closest thing. You could pour the oil into your rad and leave the solids in the jar.

Posted on: 2018/3/1 12:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
..they were lubricated with a grease gun

Oil in the case of these Packard pumps.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.73 KB)
177_5a9843fbdce85.jpg 558X910 px

Posted on: 2018/3/1 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks BDC

Posted on: 2018/3/1 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks O D,
Appreciate the info AND the water pump diagram. You're right of course, there is no way for that oil to actually get to the beatings, but of course that bit hadn't dawned on me.
All the best,
Tom

Posted on: 2018/3/1 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks Rusty,
You're probably right. And between you and OD, I have a much better picture of of how the pump was meant to be operated and maintained.
I'm learning !
Best Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2018/3/1 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Lathe soluble oil is readily available and works well. It's primary purpose was as a corrosion inhibitor. An egg cup full per radiator. I now use Water Wetter in all of my old vehicles. You never see any rusty lathe coolant systems. However, as with the other soluble oils, they rot your rubber hoses. You get only 30 years out of them instead of 60 years. I'm happy to get another 30 years myself, to get to the "ton".

Peter Toet

Posted on: 2018/3/2 0:48
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The problem with putting on a ton is that frame off restorations don't work only some cosmetic touch ups

Posted on: 2018/3/2 11:06
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved