Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 83

Danny, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

coolant leak
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Question...got intake manifold and exhaust gasket done..when I pulled the last bolt from exhaust onthe end at the firewall...coolant came pouring out...is this normal or do i have a water jacket problem ...can I just coat the bolt with form a gasket?any ideas would b appreciated...I've never seen this happen before..still dripping pretty good after torquing.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 13:04
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Re: coolant leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just seal it with a good product that can take the heat and coolant. There are several holes where head stud locations go directly into coolant but I suspect on the exhaust that a manifold stud broke off in the past and someone drilled it out and went into the jacket. Very easy to do.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 13:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know which of the several Form-a-Gasket product you used, but you don't want one of the non-hardening varieties. Use a hardening gasket cement or just plain old gasket shellac as in Indian Head gasket shellac. And then make sure the stud is fully seated.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 13:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok..have not sealed it yet..got to drain block...this manifold has a bolt in it at the last position...maybe someone removed the stud and substituted a bolt...ill try the sealer and c what happens...it was not leaking before...thanks guys!

Posted on: 2018/3/3 13:42
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved