Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'55 Clipper does not want to come out of Park
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Just started this last week that the transmission will not out of park without rocking the car back and forth. Is this a possible problem with the park detent internal to the trans?

Any ideas? All help appreciated.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 22:42
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 Clipper does not want to come out of Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Very common problem on the 55 due to unfortunate linkage design. At the side of the trans you will find that the shift linkage almost goes over center in the park position giving no leverage. I usually discard the set screw holding the lever onto the shaft , rotate the lever upwards about 10-15 degrees and then pin it with a rollpin. I then lengthen the adjustable link from the column to the relay shaft somewhat to make sure it has adequate leverage when in the park position. Lastly I cut and weld the pull rod from the relay shaft to the lever on the trans to suit these new adjustments.

There was a service bulletin about grinding chamfers on the shift valve inside the trans. Ignore it; that exercise is ineffective.

If you still have troubles then it is time to open up and look at the park mechanism, particularly the stop pin which will let the parking roller flip rearwards over center.

At the best of times park on these cars is delicate. Use the handbrake.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 23:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Good answer Ross

Posted on: 2018/3/5 0:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Ross, thank you. This gets started today. I was hoping that it "might be" the linkage. Worse case where is a trans rebuilder in relation to West Texas that I takes transmission shipped in?

Thank you.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 9:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved