Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Wow, the Egyption, my favourite.

It will look good.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 23:16
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Wow, the Egyption, my favourite."

Mine too.

Thought it looked pretty good in the eBay pic's but it turned out to be better than expected. Seller wanted USD$225.00 BIN, but with USD$67+ Shipping it was going to arrive in Oz at AUD$400 plus. Offered USD$185 which was accepted and, when the eBay shipping calculator kicked in, shipping was less than USD$40, a pleasant surprise. All up landed in Oz, less than AUD$300, much more affordable. But I shot myself in the foot on another bargain. Found a very nice Horn ring and button for USD$50 BIN, but identified as 1951 Studebaker Packard. Offered USD$35, next thing I know it's not on eBay any longer. Next time, if there's a next time, won't be so greedy for a bargain.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 2:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Mal, I'm glad you got another Packard again, it's fun to read your enthusiasm when you are around your Packard.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 8:47
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 7th March, 2018

After a bit of "to and froing" with photos and copies of parts pictures from the manual, which the previous owner had printed out from PackardInfo, received a quote from W. W. Shock Absorbers. Not going to do this at the present time but will take the opportunity to do so in the future, ie before years end. Probably send them away before I leave for Hershey so that they are ready to reinstall on my return(I hope). Interesting thing is the cost. Had the front shocks on the Coupe reconditioned 10 years ago and the quote for the '50's is 50% dearer. That's inflation for ya!

Posted on: 2018/3/6 16:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 8th March, 2018

Replaced the original ornament with the Egyptian today. In removing the original from the bonnet(hood) noticed its "footprint" was larger than that of the Egyptian. The original was held on by 3 screws in lieu of the 4 required, the rearmost screw being missing. Once off cleaned up the bonnet from the accumulated grime hidden by the ornament. Then to the junk box for an appropriate screw and found one. But in fitting the Egyptian found that the fore and aft mounting lugs protruded through the bonnet by about 3/16". The rear lug on the original also protruded so that appears why it was missing a screw. Maybe there was a "special fastener" required for the rear lug? Or, was there a mounting/backing plate on the underside of the bonnet which I'm missing? But the front most lug on the original didn't protrude, instead it was recessed? Anyway, after finding a suitable screw proceeded to use some old fuel injection line and sliced spacers from it to fit the fore and aft lugs. Fitted perfectly.

Next, being underbonnet, refilled the front shocks again. Both left and right side shocks required 12mls to top them up. Can see where there's a leak on the right but the left, being hidden by the battery and tray has so far eluded leak detection. Thinking I'll have to have the front shocks rebuilt sooner rather than later. Otherwise it'll be costing me a small fortune in jack oil to keep them topped on an almost daily basis!

Concerning Egyptian Bonnet Ornaments I'm very happy with mine. Especially as this one has turned up on eBay, you can see the protruding lugs in the pic's there. In my opinion this ornament looks very inferior to the one I have.

Tomorrow, its off to pick up Bruce Blevins from his city hotel for dinner with some Aussie Packard people.

Click on the pic's for a bigger, better image.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.58 KB)
226_5aa0b79e885d3.jpg 1254X612 px

jpg  (14.46 KB)
226_5aa0b7a8ac833.jpg 1366X394 px

jpg  (37.98 KB)
226_5aa0b7b89d49a.jpg 850X612 px

jpg  (43.83 KB)
226_5aa0b7c96503f.jpg 1069X613 px

Posted on: 2018/3/7 23:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
... fore and aft mounting lugs protruded through the bonnet by about 3/16". The rear lug on the original also protruded so that appears why it was missing a screw.

What you're missing are the little pressed steel cups that went over the posts and then retained by the screw.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 23:27

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What you're missing are the little pressed steel cups that went over the posts and then retained by the screw.

They are called cup washers and Packard used a lot of them on moldings and also in mounting relays and other components. I have yet to find a retail source for those similar to the originals but if you want to order a few thousand of a particular size there are places that still make them.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 23:41
Howard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"if you want to order a few thousand of a particular size there are places that still make them."
but NO I'll pass.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 0:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Mal

Love the addition of the Egyptian hood ornament! Here's a photo of a decent original '48 Eight that turned up on the Buffalo, N.Y area Craigslist during September 2016 with the Egyptian hood ornament.

Glad you're again "The Man Who Owns One!"

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (65.88 KB)
409_5aa17d03cb6b1.jpg 826X641 px

Posted on: 2018/3/8 13:12
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is (or perhaps was) a Website for identifying cars which had this ornament but since there were other errors on it, I presumed that this was another as I had never seen it before. It looked a lot like that of the early 1950s Fords so I thought the site's owner had gotten them mixed up but seeing it now close-up and installed, it is quite different and very nice looking! You made a great find in getting one in this condition although I also like the flying lady that you had, though perhaps not as classy.

The cupped washers mentioned should be the same on many of the ornaments, or at least very similar, as I know my Packards all use them.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 14:12

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved