Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening Mal...I'm just curious, can you comment on the drive-ability of your coupe as compared to the 23 series? Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2018/3/11 21:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 15th March, 2018

The Ides of March beware!

"can you comment on the drive-ability of your coupe as compared to the 23 series?"

Ernie,

Briefly, both are fairly similar in my estimation although both ride well with the 23rd Series a little "smoother", I think because of the different front suspension. Can't comment on the cornering, haven't done enough of that yet, while steering is comparable.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 22:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your feeling the ride quality being near the same and maybe even favoring the 23rd is interesting. I had been under the impression that drivers thought Packard had taken a step backward when they implemented the new Clipper type in 41 over the supposedly superior SafeTFlex. I believe I remember some comments that Rolls Royce even implemented a version of the SafeTFlex because it was the best available.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 23:18
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Packard Safe-T-Flex appeared to work well on the 48 - 54 R-R and Bentley products in the contemporary Autocar Tests. Many are unaware of the Packard connection but react favourably to knowing that the suspension is linked to Packard Quality. PT

Posted on: 2018/3/15 2:43
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sunday 18th March, 2018

Maybe this should be titled "My confession"?

Today was PACA's AGM and as Secretary of the club thought it befitting to arrive in my "new" Packard, which I did. On Friday, had polished the rusty/pitted/pimpled chrome as best I could and polished the boot(trunk) lid, bonnet(hood) and both front mudguard(fenders) too. Looking closely you can tell they have been polished but there's not much difference between the polished and unpolished parts of the car that I can readily tell. In fact, the further you get from the car the better it looks! Then this morning checked fluids, etc and topped up the front shocks again. The right required 10ml and the left only 5ml. Have to check again and refill for a usage check following the extended run.

The trip there was 138kms(86miles), while the trip home was 153kms(95miles) because I took the long looping toll road option on the return journey. I hadn't done a journey of that length before with the Packard, only short local runs, and was concerned how it would handle it. In fact I'd been planning a round trip for earlier in the week to Goulburn and back as a proving run, about 160kms(100miles), but never got to do it. But not to worry, it's a Packard after all. Yes it is a Packard, but one that appears to run hot, and with a forecast of 40C(104F) I didn't want to push my luck or lack of it. Nevertheless set forth in the morning and including about a 25 minute stop for luncheon provisions, it was "bring a plate", made the trip in about 2 hours 40 minutes. And no overheating, temp gauge was about 2/3 to 3/4 all the way. It no doubt helped that it was morning and the ambient temperature hadn't peaked.

The return trip was another matter altogether, ambient temperature as forecast and the driver hot, bothered and tense in the circumstances. After about 8 miles, as the Packard travelled, pulled in and filled up with fuel to the dulcet tones of the filler whistle. When filled noticed the temp gauge was right up so naively stupidly bravely foolishly, insert your descriptor of choice here, I decided to top up the radiator. My original half formed plan was to do that before I left the AGM but distractions, my excuse, prevented me from doing so. Anyway, grabbed a cloth from the boot and with the engine running removed the radiator cap. The geyser of dirty, rusty water which shot forth caused me to jump back dropping the cloth and the radiator cap. Didn't matter that my arms were slightly scalded, after all it is very hot water. My concern was for the radiator cap as I thought it had dropped down a fixed drainage grate which I'd parked over. Couldn't see it down there, but with the grate a fixture, I wouldn't have been able to reach down about the 5ft if I had been able to see it.

Anyway putting that dilemma aside, procured a watering can and sloooowly topped up the radiator with the engine running. Took about 5 to 6 litres, about 5 to 6 US quarts, as it had lost a fair bit in the eruption and subsequent bubbling until it reached equilibrium. Tried to cap it with the rag while I went to the pay station in an attempt to find something to help me retrieve the radiator cap which I'd found! Not "down the drain" but down in the lower confines of the engine compartment, between the block and the crossmember. By the end of my short walk to the pay station and back, with a plastic 12" ruler as the only implement available which might help in the caps retrieval, the rag had blown out of the radiator cap neck. Retrieved the cap, using said rag wrapped around my hand, because the heat of the block was severe and the ruler proved ineffective. Cap in hand, I've heard that expression before but not in this context, topped up the radiator again, about 4 to 5 litres, then swiftly installed the cap.

Off again with one eye, and sometimes two, on the temp gauge this time. A long hot trip home resulted both for the Packard and for me. Gauge was up near the H mark all the way. Tried using the pusher fan, didn't appear to have much affect on matters. Varied speed, similar result. Did pull over twice to let the car cool down. First time, having learned a hard earned lesson, allowed it to cool sufficiently that I could remove the radiator cap without a Vesuvius like eruption. And it only took about 1 litre of water, so obviously not boiling, just very HOT. Second time, just let it cool, then proceeded home. Arriving home, clothing and self covered in rusty blotches, wife takes one look and says: "Don't touch anything, just get into the shower!"

Here endith my confession, and may the Packard Gods have mercy on me.

No photos this time, had my hands full just dealing with the mess I'd gotten myself into.

PS - Re-elected as Secretary, nobody else seemed interested in filling the position. Imagine that!

Posted on: 2018/3/19 0:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
You're a brave man! those are some long distances for "testing the waters" Glad you didn't get scalded too bad by the hot water and engine.
I'm sure with the help of the minds here, you will be able to get her running cool!
First things I would check, Ignition timing and function of vacuum advance.
Quality of coolant/water. Try just running water? Flush out the radiator and block.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 5:23
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Mal, what a day huh. I know buddy I've felt your pain and I applaud you for staying in the fight to get home.

To address you post.
"Looks better the further you go" made me laugh, good one.

Thanks for the conversion and translations.

I inserted "bravely" for the descriptor, I've done the same at a gas station, glad I blinked because hot coolant jumped up at my face burning even my eyelid,

Something my wife would tell me too hahaha.

A couple question from a learning aspect. Is that how your car calls to get its cooling system to refilled?
What fluid did Packard use for your year car? Water?

Posted on: 2018/3/19 5:33

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Back then I'm sure Packard recommended water with advice to use anti-freeze when the climate dictates. I'm using pure water. Lead to believe that using green coolant can be detrimental to the integrity of the soldered joints in the radiator. Also intend to use water wetter which supposedly increases the heat transfer properties of water by up to 50% and inhibits corrosion. But first a flushing of the radiator and block. Note, the previous owner recored the radiator about 3 years ago so I'm hopeful it is good. He also only used water. Another theory is that, having been converted to 12V, the temp gauge is not giving an accurate reading. Have also been advised to check what type of thermostat is installed with further advice to only use a "wax pellet"(correct descriptor?) type thermostat. And test it in a saucepan of boiling water before installing it. I think I have read here that the water distribution tube can be accessed through the grill after removing the radiator, water pump, etc. If I've got that wrong I'd like to hear it now rather than find out while doing the job.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 6:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Hal:

Traditional "green" (IAT or inorganic additive technology) antifreeze is compatible with copper/brass radiators and solder joints - it's the extended life "red" or OAT (organic additive technology) designed primarily for cars with aluminum engines and aluminum/plastic radiators that's questionable in our old cars. I've been using the "green" antifreeze year-round in my '34 Packard since I bought it in 1963, no radiator or cooling system problems yet.

Not that it's much extra work but on your 23rd series you'll have to remove the grille to remove the water distribution tube.

Yes, changing to 12-volt with the original 6-volt sensor will affect the reading of your temperature gauge.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 7:43

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the advice re the coolant, grill removal and the temp sensor.

Things electrical seem like magic to me, so thinking I might install a "mechanical" temp gauge under dash for accurate readings.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 17:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved