Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 front seat cushion
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Since acquiring our '40 160, we have difficulty keeping the front seat cushion in place. Slides forward causing things to fall between the back cushion and the seat and is often uncomfortable as have to keep pushing it back. On the 47 and 48 there is a lip that the bottom edge of the cushion fits against on the floor. Is something missing from our 40 like a bracket or some other device? Thought I would ask before I improvise front seat 1940

Posted on: 2018/2/5 18:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 front seat cushion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
On our '39, I noticed the same thing when we first got the car. When I looked at it more closely, I found 2 small 'vee-brackets' on the bottom front lip of the seat bottom. Try as I might, I could not get the seat pushed back far enough at the back, to get the brackets to engage in the metal seat frame. After fighting with it until the air turned blue, my wife came along and suggested I engage the brackets first with the back of the seat up in the air and then push the back down 'scraping' the rear edge over the seat back's front face. It really compresses the upholstery of the seat back and one has to be careful there are no sharp edges or staples on the back edge of the seat bottom, but, once in place, the seat was perfectly stable.
Not sure if the '40 has the same setup, but thought my 'ordeal' might help give you a place to start looking.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 19:52
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I fight with my '40 sometimes, too, but when I take a little time, and push real hard, it goes in. However, I will now try 3Packs idea. Your wife is brilliant!!!

Posted on: 2018/2/5 19:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks, I will look under the cushion to see if it is made the same way as the 39.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 22:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
If you engage the brackets at the front of the seat cushion and place a sheet of cardboard between the seat back and the rear of the cushion it will slide into place easily.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 0:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Good idea, Brian. Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 1:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I didn't think there was any other way than opening both front doors, tilting the seat down in the front until it catches (you may have to do driver and passenger side separately), then pushing the the rear side down.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 9:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks, I was trying to make it fit like my 47 and 48. never noticed the bottom of the seat had those notches.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 11:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Joe, I guess after having removed and reinstalled a plethora of back seats in cars over the years, where one USUALLY puts the back in and down first, and then they kind of notch down and lock, I presumed that was how the Packard front seat would/should work. SEEMED reasonable to me until I had tried it about 15 times and invented several new swear words; then when the suggestion was made to me to try it the other way it both worked AND made sense!!! LOL

Posted on: 2018/2/6 20:31
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Up-date. I have tried all the suggestions including the cardboard with my wife pushing down one side and me the other and it will not slide into place. I am now convinced when the car was restored in the 80' they put too much padding in the seat cushion and it just won't go down as described. The fellow I bought it from in 2008 told me he never could get it in and he had bought it from the restorer in Illinois around 1994. I will improvise.

Posted on: 2018/4/28 18:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved