Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 356 Ignition coil
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
1940 356 ignition coil. I am having a problem which I originally thought was fuel system but everything checks out and beginning to suspect the coil and the points and condenser. Car starts fine drives a little and then quits like it is out of gas. After it cools off a few minutes, it will start again. Points and condenser sre easy enough. What do I do about that coil with the armored wire coming out the back going I think to the ignition switch. NOS are available for the cost of your first born. Will the back of that coil come off and then you can splice the wire around to the terminal on the new coil?

Posted on: 2018/4/28 19:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 356 Ignition coil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you checked with David Flack (flackmaster at sbcglobal point net) to see if he might have a coil? He mentioned some time back that there might be period looking substitutes to the expensive originals some of the vendors have.

If you do replace with a modern coil, depending on the brand of the original coil the bottom or cup the armored cable goes into will either be held by bent over tabs which need to straighten to let the cup remove or by some small dimples on the coil housing which requires the cup to twist off like a screw top bottle cap. Once the cup is off there is a single terminal on the bottom of the coil. Remove the wire from the terminal and if it extends enough out of the cup or there is slack to reroute the armored cable it may be long enough to bring forward and attach to the new coil terminal location. If not a short length will need to be spliced on.

The Napa IC-7 is a universal 6v modern coil which works well. Unfortunately there is no provision for any way to secure the cup and cable to the coil so you will need to tie wrap it or provide some other means to keep it fixed in position so the wire doesn't get damaged or pulled.

Posted on: 2018/4/28 20:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks, Howard. I am going to try to get a modern coil to replace this one. Who knows it might be the original.

Posted on: 2018/4/29 8:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Hi Howard, I have studied the existing coil this morning but have not removed it yet. It has a bracket that shares a stud with the air cleaner mount. I do notice on the end where there is an existing terminal for the wire from the distributor, it does not say positive or negative like the new coils. Would the wire from the distributor go on the positive or negative of the new one? I am thinking positive as the one in the back goes to the ignition which I think breaks a ground so the one I move from the back of the old one would go on the negative ground. Is this correct? Mine does have the metal tabs to bend back. Then again since it is positive ground I may have all that backward? Thanks for the help. TOmmy

Posted on: 2018/4/29 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want essentially the same mounting on the new coil you can pick up a universal bracket similar to this type which wraps around the middle of the coil. That way it can mount to the same air cleaner stud. Still need to deal with some way of anchoring the armored cable though.

The single exposed terminal on the original coil now going to the distributor is the positive terminal. If the car still has the stock positive ground the distributor and OD ign cutout wire (if you have overdrive) will connect to the positive terminal on the new coil. The armored cable wire from the ign switch connects to the negative terminal. To keep the best coil efficiency if the positive battery ground has been reversed for some reason then the coil terminals also should reverse.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.31 KB)
209_5ae5ee193dac6.jpg 500X634 px

Posted on: 2018/4/29 11:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
yes, can provide NOS coil and new bracket.

DAF

Posted on: 2018/4/29 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Tommy,

Curious to see what your problem turns out to be. My '39 Six was doing the exact same thing. I too, have replaced 'everything' and have not yet had it out on the road to see if the problem is fixed. It SEEMS to be running better, but the proof will be driving it and arriving at a stop sigh and not have it just 'coast to a halt'. Same as yours, if I sit there for a bit, it will restart, but mine almost seems like it is flooded when it does restart, as I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it until it starts and then it 'sounds' flooded. I replaced carb, fuel pump, distributor (along with new points and condenser) plugs, wires, coil, even a new voltage regulator. Recently I have had the front end clip off to do a major cooling system overhaul and whilst I could get better access to the motor, I timed it and found it to be out a bit (too far advanced 2-4 degrees) so I have rectified that, re-cored the rad, installed a new water pump, T-stat and antifreeze; flushed the block and head and it now runs significantly cooler. The rad shop that did my rad said the old core was pretty plugged up. I hope to be on the road in a few more days and will see if it is 'problem solved' or still some mysterious malady that I have yet to figure out. Please post YOUR findings. Chris.

Posted on: 2018/4/30 19:49
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved