Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clipper and cat eye lighters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
A friend of mine and I both have 2106 Clippers. His is a 1946, mine a 1947.
His cigarette lighter in the back seat is a cat eye. Mine is standard chrome.
Is his original? Did Packard drop the cat eye in 1947?
Just trivia, I guess..

Posted on: 2018/5/5 10:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Clipper and cat eye lighters
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The next generation of lighters after the corded lighters were so-called cat's eye and the cat's eye was a functional feature. You had to press them fully inserted into the socket and hold them in place to make the electrical connection and when the element got hot you could see the glow thru the translucent "cat's eye" and knew thus knew the lighter was ready to be withdrawn (thus breaking the electrical connection) and used. As soon as we had the type of lighter we know of today the cat's eye feature was meaningless and discontinued, perhaps around 1938 or so but in any case prior to 1941. I suppose it might be possible that a couple of 1939 Twelves using left-over 1938 bodies might have still had a cat's eye lighter - someone will perhaps come along with the exact date.

Cat's eye lighters from 1934 Packard; the two rear lighters (one with ash tray on each side) were slightly different than the single front lighter.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.94 KB)
177_5aedfe9a45a8a.jpg 1500X753 px

Posted on: 2018/5/5 12:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved