Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Return to forever... the stalling issue!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Havent read ur entire BIBLE so maybe these things have been hit on. Have found these on other cars in the past:
1.Breather for Gas Tank not clear and building up a vacuum. Vacuum increase and engine stalls. Let it sit and vacuum decrease. Run without the Cap and c what happens.
2.Bypass that Elect Pump and Reg.and c what happens.
Some of these can restrict. The low Inchs of Vac just dont cut it.

AND could b something else.

Posted on: 2018/5/4 12:59
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom in NH
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:

Another thing: we teed a fuel pressure gauge into the line yesterday and it started at 4 PSI and at some point stopped showing any pressure, yet the engine continued to run.

I suspect that your rubber fuel hose(s) are collapsing internally.This may be the root of your troubles. Let us know.
Good luck.
Tom

Posted on: 2018/5/6 20:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you happen to have a glass bowl filter in front of your carburetor, and have not changed out the rubber gasket in awhile they can swell themselves closed, restricting fuel flow.

Posted on: 2018/5/7 6:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Tom probably has the correct answer, especially if the hose is older, and not rated for ethanol type fuel. That stuff can really mess up the older rubber lines as well as diaphragms in the fuel pump.

Posted on: 2018/5/7 12:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It would seem that 'stalling' is a long-standing issue in Packerland with many root causes. I have owned many, many vehicles and have NEVER had a problem like this with any other engine before. The way MY stalling issue presents, the car is flooding out, rather than starving for fuel. When I ordered a replacement rebuilt carb and it didn't seem to change anything, I (maybe falsely) presumed I could rule out carburetion. In reviewing some of the You Tube instructional videos on the Carter WA-1, it would seem that float levels are both critical and finicky with that particular model. I also see lots of mention of the metering rod and its spring being a possible cause of incorrect fuel delivery. Irrespective, my problem is from too much fuel vs. insufficient delivery and I am approaching it from the standpoint of trying to determine WHY?? While I realize collapsed tube layers of hose can cause weird and intermittent performance anomalies, I don't think it is has anything to do with my car's 'sickness'. I still am not convinced that there might not be some other underlying issue, like a cracked intake manifold or even some strange internal problem like a crack in the head or block that manifests when the engine gets up to operating temperature under load. If and when I do find the problem, I think it will be a major 'AHA' moment and it will make sense. It sure doesn't now, that's for sure!!!!
Thanks again for the input and time taken to try and help - much appreciated. Chris

Posted on: 2018/5/7 18:14
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

There has to be a freaking answer!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have continued on with trying all the suggestions and have reasoned through others to make sure that is not my problem. I changed the fuel regulator on my fuel pump to a 1-4 PSI and got it to 3 #'s, which is what the manual calls for. We reset the float in the carb, and started at 3/4 of a turn out on the air bleed screw and kept richening it by a quarter turn at a time. We go out of the yard, down a small hill to a cattle guard on the flat and stop to turn around. It doesn't stall. We come back and up the hill, which requires a bit of gas on the grade; we get to the top and go another couple of hundred yards on the flat and pull up in front of the shop - the car 'coasts to a halt' every time. This is the same problem I have been battling for over 2 years now and all the many things I have done to the car, while they have improved other things (like better starting and a smoother idle, etc.) but NOTHING I have done has changed the stalling problem. It SEEMS like a fuel thing.... the clear filter element immediately fills with fuel when I turn the ignition on and start the car. It starts beautifully, idles so smoothly, but when we put it under load and drive it, the stalling comes back. the fuel seems to diminish in the filter and yet when I disconnect the line, there is lots of pressure and if we just disconnect the hose from the carb altogether it pumps tons of fuel. The pump is 5-8 PSI and, as stated, we have it reduced to 3. I am willing to offer a reward to anyone who can peg this. The gentleman who is helping me is a machinist, mechanic and tinsmith, has remarkable diagnostic skills and a very astute mechanical sense. He is stumped - I am stumped. Anybody?? Anything???

Posted on: 2018/5/12 21:09
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening to you...I am wondering if your carburetor might have an incorrect jet in it, even though it has been rebuilt, or a gasket was left out under a jet? How about your vacuum advance? Another possibility would be to try another carburetor. Ernie

Posted on: 2018/5/12 21:25
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A simple test of the fuel delivery system seems appropriate. Turn off your electric pump, remove and plug the fuel line at the carburetor. Rig a simple gravity-feed tank from a small gas can, hook to the carburetor and have someone hold the tank a foot or more above the height of the carb while you go for a test drive. If the problem persists, you can eliminate the entire fuel system prior to the carburetor from suspicion.

Posted on: 2018/5/12 22:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Have you tested the entire (electrical) ignition system, I think it may be earthing out somewhere and the most likely place is in the plate that holds the points.Do you still have you still the shielded cable to the coil?
Regards Pepe.

Posted on: 2018/5/13 0:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
connects a voltmeter to the bottom coil connection and if stays at 6v when the car falters then ign switch and primary metal cable are OK. Work your way up/ down etc. Do same with fuel press ga. on system

Posted on: 2018/5/13 7:31
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved