Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine component colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
This has likely come up before here, but I don't see it, except to address the basic engine color.
Since I needed to dismantle everything to change out my lifter assemblies, I want to repaint the engine parts (1952 250) before I reassemble. Car was restored years ago and still shows well, so repainting should look great and not out of place.
It looks to me that the block, intake, head, water pump and valve covers are all grey. Everything else that hangs off the engine - the various brackets, generator, starter, oil filler, crankcase vent, are all black. Dipstick and tube are grey. I assume the oil filter canister should be black top, maybe blue or black base, could have probably come several ways. Some parts like the fuel pump, exhaust manifold and starter solenoid are unpaint.
Is this all correct?
I got the grey from Merritt, but it is not rattle can. It says it can be used without reduction in a gun, or painted on with a brush. Anyone have experience with painting this on with a brush? I have never used a gun. Also, looking at page 194 of Packard The Pride, the 250 engine compartment shows the words "Packard" and "Thunderbolt" highlighted in red over the otherwise grey head. I have never seen this in a show or on a restored 250. Does anyone know if this was actually done from the factory or a one-off. It certainly looks nice.

Posted on: 2018/5/8 17:40
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine component colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sounds good. The oil filter is all black. The generator tension arm and gen bracket are also grey. The factory did not pick out the letters on the head. There is a little block of white paint to highlight the engine #.

Attach file:

jpg  (369.75 KB)
618_5af24544a8df5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/5/8 19:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine component colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
you need to pick up a copy of the judging guidelines from Packard international. It gives a detailed guide for the engine compartment.

Posted on: 2018/5/9 19:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved