Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 77

Packard Don, Bob J, J-Dreamer, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

WIERD NO START?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
1947 Clipper 2106.
Is it wierd? Engine just shut off. Gas at carb, spark at coil and at plugs. Will not even try to fire!

Points replaced as well as condensor..(it was on the schedule anyway). Points set at .017 as specified. Used GO/NO method to check and the gap is spot on. Rotor and cap inspected and in good shape.

No change as I expected but at least tuneup is partially completed...new plugs in the mail now!

I am suspecting the coil has a short in one winding as there is spark but not enough to start the engine. I can measure coil resistance but do not know the values.

I have a new coil from Echlin. Should OHM values be identical on both coils.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2018/5/16 9:43
 Top  Print   

Re: WIERD NO START?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have a spark at all while cranking when you remove the center lead from the dist and lay it near the block so a spark can jump the gap? If so the coil is probably sufficient and not the cause. Coils usually will not work at all or will work for a time and then start failing when warm. I had an issue on mine with fouled plugs after a lot of attempts at cranking without starting. Once the plugs were cleaned and dried of the unburned fuel the issue was resolved.

If no spark look at the voltage to coil and distributor next. Disconnect the wire going to coil at the dist terminal and measure to ground to make sure there is 6v present on the wire. It should stay a few tenths above 5v when cranking. If so, scratch the wire against the block and see if there is a spark. If there is spark and you have the type dist with a flex wire between the points and outside terminal check that flex wire carefully for the fabric insulation missing and allowing the wire to short. That is a frequent problem after working in the dist. Also check for a good ground at the dist and even though new, capacitors have been known to short.

If no voltage at the wire eliminate the OD ign cutout circuit by removing the wire at the coil terminal coming from OD relay or you can also disconnect the wire at terminal 2 of the 6 pole R9 relay. That will get the OD out of the picture. If you now have voltage a relay or contact has hung in the OD. If still no voltage then coil is open or there is a problem with ign switch or armored cable wire.

Posted on: 2018/5/16 9:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A few years ago there was another Custom Clipper at the Texas Packard Meet in Salado that would not start. It had been driven down from the Dallas area with no problems, but it would not restart. It turns out one of the wires to the carb switch had rubbed its insulation off on the head and was shorting. A couple of wraps of vinyl tape and it was off and running again. Hope your problem is just as simple. JWL

Posted on: 2018/5/16 11:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Also check the battery cables, the guy I bought my Packard from had a nice set of cables on it. It would crank and I had spark but it wouldn't fire up. Made a new set and as soon as I hit the starter it fired right up. Also batteries do seem to just fail but still test good.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/5/16 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Problem solved! The recently rebuilt carb was flooding, There was plenty of gas but it was a stream instead of a mist!!

This car has a fuel filter and the brass screen in the carb. How could any debris get into the bowl???
My mechanic said it might be ethanol damage although I have always used an anti ethanol additive in the car.

Will update after carb is broken down.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 0:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Debris could come from the fuel pump, hose or the carb itself if they haven't been replaced/rebuilt with modern fuel safe components.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 8:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have always used an anti ethanol additive in the car.

That's a new one on me, I'm skeptical about what such an additive could really accomplish as there really is no practical way to remove the ethanol from gasoline, but tell us more about it. And the debris almost with absolute certainty did not form in the bowl but entered via the fuel inlet.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
It is a Stab-Bil product called 360 Marine.
For what it is worth...

From the bottle:
Helps prevent Ethanol fuel related damage in vehicles and small engines.

On Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Vapor-Technology/dp/B001CAW2DK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528408852&sr=8-5&keywords=sta+bil+360

Posted on: 2018/6/7 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Problem was low volatile gas. It was pee colored. It must have gotten contaminated from a gas can I used.
I bought a new gas can....

I dropped the tank and drained it. Fuel drain plug was frozen in the tank..immovable!! I temporarily put the tank in place with my floor jack, put in two gallons of gas, and started it.

New gas can, new gas, it worked.

Found fuel tank sender was leaking on top of the tank. New sender and gasket will be here next week.
All this diagnosis resulted in a tune up too!
Then the open road!!

Posted on: 2018/6/7 17:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved