Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

buying a 51 Convertible and numbers dont make sense
Just popping in
Just popping in

alum550
See User information
Hi all I wrote a long help request and then couldn't submit. It says Protector detecting attacking actions. I have the opportunity to buy a 51 Convertible but the numbers VIn and engine dont come up as good Packard numbers. Can anyone help identify this car? The VIN on the title is B18633.

Posted on: 2018/5/19 8:58
 Top  Print 

Re: buying a 51 Convertible and numbers dont make sense
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In the first place, B18633 isn't a vehicle number, the vehicle number would appear on a metal plate affixed to the driver's side A pillar. A 1951 convertible VN would begin with 2469 followed by a space and 4 more digits; a 1952 convertible would begin with 2579 followed by 4 more digits - see example of vehicle number plate below. Motor numbers for 1951 would begin with the letter "J", and for 1952 with the letter "K".

B18633 is a "theft-proof" or body serial number and it falls into the range for 1952 Packard automobiles. The theft-proof number was a number Packard could use to identify a vehicle if the primary number (VN or vehicle number) was mutilated or missing; most of those records no longer exist.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.31 KB)
177_5b00310f1c0f9.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2018/5/19 9:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Were you trying to add a photo or attachment when you got the protector error? In many cases if the title of a photo etc is a series of numbers or letters separated by more than one dot such as (123.456.789.jpg) the website rejects the post thinking it is some kind of security threat. On lengthy posts there is also a timeout if the website sees no action. Even though you are typing, the website doesn't recognize an action unless a change to a different page is made within a certain period. I believe it is something like 10 minutes.

On the registration number, I have a suspicion that at some point the car might have had missing paperwork and not have had a current title or registration.

In that situation, California and probably other states require an inspection of the car by DMV, HIghway Patrol, or a person or agency licensed to do the inspections and then new titles etc are issued. Don might have more info but I believe inspectors are looking for numbers that appear easy to find and cannot be removed. Some tend to choose the most obvious or permanent even with some bits of supporting paperwork. In some cases if they find nothing suitable they even make up numbers and add their own permanent tags.

Since the theft proof body ID number is large, embossed and permanent, that is an easy choice. My 47 is also registered with the theft proof number. In my case, the inspector took one look at the screwed on easily removable patent plate and the motor number. Even though both were present and the proper numbers, he said they were too easily removed and opted to register with the non removable embossed body ID number. That may have been why yours is using the non standard number.

Posted on: 2018/5/19 9:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day alum550,
to PackardInfo. Irrespective that the numbers "don't make sense" I invite you to include your '51, or is it '52, Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/5/19 13:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved