Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 Packard convertible coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Hauled the Packard home today and aside from losing the brakes on my pickup,it was a good day. Fortunately the brake line broke in the seller's driveway and not moving a highway speeds. The truck, loaded with my fenders and misc. parts got to ride home on a rollback.
The data plate on the car lists I 289- 264 and what appear to be a lot of patent information . The cowl is stamped 407608.
Most interesting to me is the car data plate indicates Johnstown PA 12- 20-1938 which seems to confirm that the car was sold here and stayed in the area.
Dealing with the Caribbean was a learning experience and I assume the 1938 will be the same.
Is there any way to determine the original color for exterior / interior?
The car is currently painted yellow with a light tan interior. The seats were clearly recovered in Naugahyde but I assume with a drop top they would have been leather.
I will try to order the service manual and parts book shortly but was hoping for any hints.
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2018/7/12 21:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard convertible coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
oops- the cowl number is 407608

Posted on: 2018/7/12 21:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Strange set of numbers. Is patent plate (vehicle number plate) metal or a decal? Manufactured in the US or Canada?

Your vehicle number 1289-264 makes it a 1939, not a 1938. However the sequential portion seems to be missing a digit - the sequential # should have 4 digits, not 3 unless it was manufactured in Canada. And your theft-proof 407608 is either 1937 or the earliest known 1938.

Posted on: 2018/7/12 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Owen- The number plate is screwed to the firewall and it is metal. I did miss a digit . Checking the photo the number is I 287 2064.
The number stamped into the cowl is 470608.
The metal plate with the serial number says Packard motor company and then gives the Johnstown PA address and December 7 1938 date.
Sorry for any confusion.
When I add the car to the registry I will try to upload photos of both numbers. The ID plate is quite tarnished and I will try to clean it off for any other data but the info appears to be patent information and nothing specific to the car.
If there are other locations where there may be identification information please advise.
I would like to determine if the six cylinder engine is original to the car . Not so much concerned with impact on value as to be sure about any parts for engine rebuild.
Thanks
RjR

Posted on: 2018/7/12 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
RJR,
for including your '38? or is it '39 Six Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry

But it poses a conundrum. Your VN Plate is stamped "1289-2064" which identifies the car as a '39 Six Convertible Coupe and not 1938. While from the TPN of 407608, from your 1st post in this thread, O_D has identified it as late '37 or the earliest known '38 known. However your most recent post gives a TPN of 470680. Could you check whether it is 407608 or 470608? If it is the latter number that could cast a different light on this discussion. Indeed O_D may be able to confirm it as a 1939 body. Don't forget that although sold in 1938 it was very late in the year and likely after 1939 models were on sale.

If you have the engine number you can check here. Engine numbers for 1939 Sixes are in the range B1501 -> B27541. While Engine numbers for 1938 Sixes are in the range A1501 -> A31660. This could be another indicator as to whether yours is '38 or '39.

Posted on: 2018/7/13 2:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
A few other quick indicators of year are: 38 data plate is a decal -38 is a floor shift the donut lady (if you have one) doesn't have glass wings

Posted on: 2018/7/13 5:43
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Read the "I" in your vehicle number as a "1", that's just the font that Packard chose to use. So your vehicle number, the fact that the patent plate is not a decal, and your theft-proof number all confirm the car is a 1939, not a 1938. The earliest known theft-proof number for 1939 is 468392. By both that and the vehicle number, you have a very early car so you should also have a very early motor number if the motor is original to the car.

Posted on: 2018/7/13 7:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks again guys. Time to gather some service and parts manuals and start learning something about pre.- War Packards.
I will have to change my Registry info.....and try to load some photos.
Tomorrow I need to figure out why the Caribbean which ran like a champ all day now refused to turn over. I thought the battery was low but after a three hour charge....still the same hard clunk and no turning over.
Maybe common sense would direct the liquidation of the old cars. Easier on the budget and blood pressure. LOL

Posted on: 2018/7/13 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If a click and no turning over sounds like a lot like the battery might have failed or a very dirty cable terminal. A clunk might mean the solenoid is pulling in to shift the pinion but the contacts inside the solenoid have worn to the point the starting motor isn't being connected.

Posted on: 2018/7/13 23:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks Howard. I keep thinking that everything is new but the battery is 5 years old....despite the car having traveled less than 500 miles. I will,pull it and have it checked at NAPA.
The weather has not cooperated with ragtop driving this year. Twenty-nine days of rain in May and June not much better. The Caribbean has been out only once before today and I was just getting to enjoy it when it would not start. Gets frustrating but no one says we have to play with old cars.
Hopefully the current blue skies and warm weather will hold for a while.
RJR

Posted on: 2018/7/13 23:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved