Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery cut off switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Two weeks ago, I parked the Caribbean under the carport and hen I went to start it, it cranked- sort of- but would not start. Since the car is stored most of the time, I installed a shut off switch ( turn knob counterclockwise to disconnect) on the ground cable. Since the cable is the mesh unit, the shut off has a female terminal that attaches to the positive post of the battery and a male end that attaches to the cable terminal.
The unit has been on the car and worked fine.
I assumed the battery was low so I attached it to the charger after disconnecting the cables and allowed a slow charge overnight.
Next morning same problem so I cleaned all terminals and tried again....nothing. I pulled the battery and took it to NAPA to have it checked......tested fine.
I returned the battery to the car and still no luck. NAPA closed at noon so I took the battery to AutoZone where they said battery was fine...just needed charged. They charged the battery...no charge LOL....and I reinstalled it with the same result....no lights...no turning of the engine.
I retrieved a floor jack and jack stand and got under the car to check connections to the starter.....all were fine.
I was ready to have the car towed to a repair shop when I decided to pull the shut off switch. Attached the ground cable directly to the battery and it fired right up.
I never have had problem with the shut off switch on any vehicle and am curious as to whether attaching to the positive pole could be the reason. Secondly,,since I like to cut power when the car is stored, is there any reason that the same kind of unit cannot be attached to the negative post....even though that cable goes to the starter on the 55 Paxkard.
The units are designed to fit on the smaller diameter negative post.
Dumb questions but ...
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2018/7/26 17:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Battery cut off switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Best practice, and especially so when using a switch at the battery post, is to use the switch to interrupt the ground cable. But does it make a difference either way in engine starting and performance, NO.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 17:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of those battery mounted cutoff switches are just plain crap that cannot take the heavy current of the starter motors more than a few times -- or it could be one designed around modern starters that use less current. Better for older starters would be to get one of the Cole-Hersee type heavy duty switches and mount it in a convenient location. Granted it does take a bit more work and an extra bit of cable.

I am not that much a stickler for authenticity so used rubber covered round cable instead of the braided strap to still place my switch in the ground side. Mounted switch on the firewall where I could use an extended rod and knob next to the emergency brake handle to control it from the inside.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
NAPA sells a heavy duty battery cable disconnect terminal. I is in two parts with one for the battery terminal and the other on the cable. It is robust enough that I have used it on 6-volt systems. Good for safety, but not so much for security. A simple solution if one wants to disconnect a battery during storage. Here is a photo of one on my formerly owned 115C where the battery was relocated to the engine compartment. JWL

Attach file:

jpg  (170.85 KB)
565_5b5b376963763.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2018/7/27 10:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Again- Thanks for the info. I generally use the cutoff switch as shown bu JW on my cars but the " original style" mesh ground cable is not able to be used with the switch shown. That was the reason for my inquiry as to whether that type of switch would work on the positive cable where the cable can be cut and the switch installed as shown.
Owen says it will work....as I expected...so we will try it.
Just like to disconnect the battery when the cars are stored ...more fr fire safety than protection from thieves.
RJR

Posted on: 2018/7/27 21:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'm not a fan of that style of battery cut off switch. Seen too many of them heat up, have parts melt etc. In my career I have worked for a 240 car collection, all pre-70s, a 300 car collection and a 125 car collection. By far and wide I prefer the BIG Cole-Hersee switch type. I have gotten good at installing the Cole-Hersee type, and I'm a believer.

Posted on: 2018/8/16 16:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I fully agree with Mr. Pushbutton, at best with 12 volt systems those battery post switches are marginal. With a 6-volt system they are just plain not up to the task. And even worse with a non-soldered cable connection.

Posted on: 2018/8/16 16:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Me three and with the Cole-Hersee type switches they are flexible in mounting. You can either mount so you need to lift the hood and work the switch as per the cheap battery type or with a bit more work mount on the firewall or with some ingenuity, add a push pull cable or a shaft extension and mount it so you can control from inside the car.

I will concede that if you choose to install the switch in the ground side, for safety's sake of an accidental touching of the braid to metal you lose the uninsulated braided cable used after the 23rd series but for many that is a minor detail.

Posted on: 2018/8/16 17:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
A friend of mine had a high end restoration done on his Clipper. He used a Hotronics battery disconnect. It is operated by a mini toggle under the dash. Great theft deterrent and one not need to raise the hood to disconnect the battery. With shipping about $157. I got one as soon as I saw his in action!
https://hotronicsproducts.com/battery-disconnect/

Attach file:

jpg  (69.13 KB)
74962_5b7715a21c809.jpg 938X908 px

Posted on: 2018/8/17 13:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That's one expensive Ford starter solenoid.

Posted on: 2018/8/27 16:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved