Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 101

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

56 400 loss of power
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Anyone have ideas.

Today driving about 10 miles. 75 80.. Weather hot.

But car temp below normal...then heard pinging.knock..loss of power..temp gauge went up. Limped off freeway. Car running rough.
Parked it at store..

When came out of store tried to start..hard to turn over.popped hood...hot under there.

Went for a walk...not far I am recouping from surgery last weds...

Came back turned over..held pedal to floor..started up. Ran rough..took back streets home. Ran rough all the way home.
Temp can down too. I have champion rn14 plugs a hot plug..could they be to hot?..is it a head gasket?.. Or vapor lock..but with that ford high out fuel pump it was running rich...

Posted on: 2018/8/8 23:59
Riki
 Top  Print 

Re: 56 400 loss of power
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Advance weights in the dizzy stuck open? Spark plug self destruct? Insulation chafe or melt off a plug wire? Better do a compression check.

Posted on: 2018/8/9 5:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks Ross.

Wires ok...have not checked plugs yet.. The dizzy..with that Melling pump shaft..I am concerned it will come up with dizzy..if I pull the dizzy.

Will do compression check.. Have any plug numbers for a cold spark plug.

Plug wires are wire not carbon ..

Posted on: 2018/8/9 9:16
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Could your dizzy clamp have loosened and the dizzy turned while driving and screwed up timing?

What is your concern about the Melling shaft between the dizzy and the oil pump coming out? On mine, if it comes up with the dizzy, I just drop it back in then engage it with the dizzy and turn rotor until it drops in place. Maybe we have different setups.

Hope it is something minor..

Posted on: 2018/8/9 10:11
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The Melling shaft fits loose in hex end.. And..don't want it to drop into pan...if it can.

Posted on: 2018/8/9 12:27
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Four easy things you'll want to check right away...

1.) Pull the engine dip stick and look to see if the oil has changed colors or has a yellowish, creamy look to it (means a blown head gasket)

2.) Check your distributor advance to see if it is stuck or even working.

3.) Loosen your radiator cap with the engine cold or cool and check to see if indeed it really is full of coolant or may need "burping" to get a air bubble out of the system. Check by squeezing the upper rubber hose.

4.) Open your radiator cap and look to see if there are traces of transmission fluid in the coolant- such as brown dots or streaks of purplish looking color (means a blown/leaking transmission cooler)

Posted on: 2018/8/9 14:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks leeedy

I was involved with the pack 12 today so didn't..look at 400.

But my oil is clean..yellow..looked at dip other day..also seem to be using oil..

No sure if front seal is throwing it..need to check that..

Posted on: 2018/8/9 21:40
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Riki wrote:
Thanks leeedy

I was involved with the pack 12 today so didn't..look at 400.

But my oil is clean..yellow..looked at dip other day..also seem to be using oil..

No sure if front seal is throwing it..need to check that..

Ahhh... well if none of these points are a problem, it may very well be that you've spun a crankshaft bearing. That's the first thing I look for if the others are okay-especially if the engine is running a ten-under crank!

Posted on: 2018/8/10 0:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Leeedy

Man hope it's not a crank

The crank is forged. chrome harden brought up to STD.

Posted on: 2018/8/10 8:38
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
it may very well be that you've spun a crankshaft bearing

"Spun a crankshaft bearing" is when the bearing locks on the shaft and spins in the block or the rod.

FWIW, most well-used Packard V8s have severely worn main bearings, especially on the center three, but I can't remember seeing a main actually spun in the block. Can happen; we've just never seen it. That would make a dull thudding sound.

As to spun rod bearings, that makes a terrible noise clanging which leaves no doubt as to what has happened.

jack vines

Posted on: 2018/8/10 11:05
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved