Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1957 Packard limo?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was talking to a fellow who said he was at a sale where they sold a 1957 Packard limo. I questioned him as to if it were not a 1955-56 Packard. But he said no it was a 1957.
Did Studebaker/Packard produce a limo or was this something done independently by an owner?

John

Posted on: 2018/8/11 8:05
 Top  Print 

Re: 1957 Packard limo?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've never read of any limo produced by S-P and from all accounts it seems as if they could barely scrape together enough money for the minimal amount of extra tooling needed for facelifting the Stude sedan and wagon offered as Packards in 57. Even with tooling items that had to be metal a lot of the facelift was done with fiberglass. Would sure like to see a photo of a limo but looking at some of the unexpected conversions made today I suppose it would not be out of the realm that someone had something similar done then too.

Posted on: 2018/8/11 8:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
No long-wheelbase seven-passenger sedans or limousines on the South Bend '57 & '58 Packards were built when they were new. If the car cited was in fact a '57, it would be a recent customizing job, albeit with a significantly strengthen frame.

Studebaker management decided to follow Loewy's edict "Weight is the Enemy" too far for the 1953 line development. The results were flexible ladder frames and light body structures, more so than their prior model. The cars didn't have the solid feel expected even for low-priced cars. When the events made creating a Packard on the platform the only available avenue, it wasn't really well fitted to the job.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/8/11 11:58
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was talking to a fellow who said he was at a sale where they sold a 1957 Packard limo. I questioned him as to if it were not a 1955-56 Packard

No Packard limo is 55/56 either, 1954 was the last year for a LWB 8 passenger Packard.

Posted on: 2018/8/11 13:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved