Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Outdoor Storage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
I'm working in Indiana and a co-worker will soon have a few cars to store outside this winter. Those Indiana corn fields are full of deer and mice. He's concerned about the mice. He has completed a search that has yielded results that include, store inside, use dryer sheets, use moth balls, use an ultrasound source. etc.

Anyone experienced an option that works?

Thanks

Posted on: 2018/8/25 14:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Outdoor Storage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I can verify that the mice will get in - somewhere. They clogged the air cleaner on my motorhome when I lived there(southern IN).
I'd suggest renting at a storage facility. I stored cars, boats, trailers, etc in outside rental covered storage (3 sides) over winter in PA and didn't have any issues.
Depending where in IN you'll have winter weather too.

Posted on: 2018/8/25 19:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

shore72
See User information
Don't use mothballs. Previous owner of my car bought it in 2012; they guy HE bought it from used them and here it is 2018 and the odor is still strong (though I've weakened it quite a bit).

Posted on: 2018/8/26 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Mice are the most damaging and relentless enemy. Just took an engine out of a 51 that had nuts and seeds carried all the way up into the valve pockets. And the little boogers had peed up in there and seized the valves to the guides. Had to cut the valves off in between the coils of the valve springs and drive guide and valve out from below.

My desire for revenge was somewhat assuaged by finding 6 dead embalmed mice in the oil pan---now referred to as the mouse-o-leum.

Attach file:

jpg  (350.82 KB)
618_5b83e35778700.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/8/27 6:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I might suggest the purchase of bait stations be secured under the car before the snow falls. They can be secured in the soil with anchors so larger animals can't drag them off.

They are plastic and you can place a large amount of bait inside. Contacting an exterminator might be a good choice also.

Posted on: 2018/8/27 7:00
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There are sealed bags available in car-size that might work. I've never used them but have seen ads that look interesting. As I recall, they were reasonably priced.

Posted on: 2018/8/27 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I recently found moths in my 1933 Packard sedan's interior. I didn't want to use mothballs so an online search turned up cedar as a natural moth repellant. Lowe's and Home Depot carry cedar planks in 15 square foot quantities for less than $30.00. The cedar packaging claims it repels moths, silverfish, cockroaches and mice. I placed the planks all around the interior. I isolated the planks so they aren't in direct contact with the upholstery or the carpeting just in case tree oil might seep out of the planking. It's only been a couple of weeks since it was installed, but I'm not finding any more moths so far, and the odor to me is much better than mothballs.

On the powertrain, any openings need to be sealed. The crankcase vent or road draft tube and the exhaust pipe being two obvious openings. Other possibilities are oil/transmission fluid dipstick and filler tubes along with the carburetor inlet if the dipsticks, caps and air cleaner are missing.

Posted on: 2018/8/27 22:12
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Repellants are really iffy and just send the cloth eating bugs into your storage areas or other less hostile sites ( vehicles, house) . it does not kill them or stop them breeding. I have a Pest Control Company, slightly better than in "Mouse Hunt", I just don't have a winch on my van. I would suggest that you obtain an outdoor automatic insecticide atomiser and activate it every day for a few weeks inside the closed car. The atomiser will activate ( a Psssst of insecticide) every 15 seconds for four hours and shut off. You can use an indoor atomiser but it will activate every 13 to 17 minutes for 1 second and you would do better trying to physically strangle each insect. Repellants don't always work with people or insects so wise up and go for the jugular. The indoor atomisers are active for 6 to 8 weeks continuous, so if you used one and gave a good 10 second blast with an insecticidal aerosol before you switched on the indoor "continuous" atomiser, you could pre-load the system. As Clint would say........you've gotta get mean...REAL.. MEAN. Good Luck. PT

Posted on: 2018/8/28 4:09
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved