Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

RCJ56, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: The Old Motor: Workers Dismantling Assembly Line 1954
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Here is the storage lot on the corner of East Grand Boulevard and Mt.Elliot in April of 1956

Attach file:

jpg  (139.17 KB)
129_5b86dba20e027.jpg 1213X865 px

Posted on: 2018/8/29 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
Leeedy-would it have been one of the buildings on Mack, near the center of this 1956 aerial?

Ahhh. Now if my eyes are not tricking me, I can see what looks like East Warren Avenue, Conner Avenue and what looks like it may be Mack. There was indeed a Briggs building on Mack at one time, but remember this was during the New Packard Plant era of late 1954-1956. So it would not necessarily be a former Briggs property. And while I would know the Packard retrofit/countermeasure building if I saw it from the ground, I'm not so sure about seeing it from the air. And for whatever reason, my old mind seems to recall Kercheval in here somewhere. I just know you could see it from Conner. But it has been a lot of years now.

My aunt's boss told me all about the activities there when we last talked in the 1970s. But I never kept an address written down and as I recall, there were no signs on the building to indicate what was inside. But it was a place where car carriers could pull up and load/unload.

When I drove around the area recently, I was almost lost with all of the changes.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
Here is the storage lot on the corner of East Grand Boulevard and Mt.Elliot in April of 1956

Yesss! Very nice to see this shot, even though quite grainy. Nice to see the employee's lots off of Concord Avenue still with a lot of cars in them, even though assembly operations were over on Conner at this point. I can also see the "New Packard Bar " (& Grill) on Mt. Elliott.

After the demise of Packard and the sale of the property, the northern end of this lot was occupied by a "Food Fair" supermarket and the lot became their parking lot. The "Food Fair" was replaced by "Farmer Jack" supermarket and the lot remained as their parking lot. It is now some kind of charity food distribution center so I'm told.

Across East Grand Blvd. where the power plant sits in this photo, another supermarket was built when they tore the power plant down. This supermarket was an A&P. The front end of this property along Grand Blvd. became the A&P parking lot. and oddly enough, the dilapidated A&P building is also hanging on somehow, despite being thoroughly trashed and boarded up for decades now.

The storage lot is way down in cars here from what it was in the early 1950s when it was sometimes choked with new Packards.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 21:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved