Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

53 Cavalier Repower
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dennis Franco
See User information
I was thinking of pulling my original engine and trans and replacing them with a Ford 300ci inline 6 and C6 transmission. I want reliability and A/C. Has anyone on the forum performed this swap? I do not want to use a V8. We love driving the car but we live in a rural area and to go to local cruises we have to drive 30 or more miles. Also SE Louisiana is HOT and my wife doesn't like to sweat. So her and our daughter will follow me to the event. Any advice would be appreciated

Thx
Dennis

Posted on: 2018/9/2 15:30
Dennis
1953 Packard Cavalier Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Cavalier Repower
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is your engine in good condition or does it need a rebuild. If the engine is OK maybe it would be less expense and trouble to get the Bendtsen S-8 adapter and go with a GM 700R4 transmission rather than engineering and making all new brackets etc to mount a short 6 in place of the 8.

The adapter requires changing to a mini starter which needs 12v so that conversion would need to be done and would also work for your AC. A bracket would need to be fabricated for the compressor but Ross has done many of those already so he has a proven design. Adding the compressor and drive to your inline 8 is not as big a deal as it once was.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"I want reliability and AC" Contact Vintage Air or your favorite air conditioning supplier. They can advise you on adding AC. As for reliability what kind of shape is your engine in? How is your compression, your oil pressure? If the engine checks out good follow the manufacturer's schedule of oil changes, tuneups etc. If the engine is worn, rebuild it. Your Packard straight eight is a simple engine and all parts are available. You should be able to rebuild it, and have a brand new engine, for the same cost or less as hodge podging a second hand junkyard engine.

The Ford six is ancient! First made in 1965, last one made in 1996. That means the newest one is old enough to vote, and the oldest was built just 11 years after the last Packard straight eight. It would be a shame to gut a good Packard for an engine swap, double shame to do so for an obsolete engine and one not as good as the Packard straight eight.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 19:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

shore72
See User information
I've never been a fan of swaps; to me, the engine is the heart of the car & a transplant turns it into something else. I actually like the Ford 300 but I find it totally out of step with a Packard. The straight 8 is something special & a matter of pride. I've only been driving mine for a few weeks-yesterday I had several people go out of their way to talk to me-one gentleman followed me into a store just to chat. Those in the know will ask about the engine; how would I feel if I had to tell them, "Oh, it's got a Ford six."

Regarding AC & reliability, an old customer of mine has driven all over the country in a c.1949 F-1 pickup with a rebuilt flathead six and aftermarket AC.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 22:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dennis Franco
See User information
Thanks guys! I have access to a late model carburetor rebuilt 300 and matching C6 out of a 87 F250. My engine and trans work well for having 123k on them.. I was just kicking around the idea. You can still walk in a local parts store and get off the shelf parts for the 300. The last time I took the Packard out the fuel pump went south. I had to wait a couple of weeks on Kanter to get it running again.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 22:32
Dennis
1953 Packard Cavalier Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Did you try to get a fuel pump from your local NAPA store? Such parts are usually available through normal channels if they can find a good part number.

If you really hate the straight eight have you considered buying a 1955 or 56 Packard? They not only come with a V8 they have 12V electrical systems making it a cinch to add air conditioning. I dare say you could sell your 53 and buy a 55 or 56, for a lot less money and time than hacking up your 53. And have a better car.

Posted on: 2018/9/3 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
It's none of my business in a sense, but because you put the question up on the forum, I'll reply. I think it's blasphemy to put anything but a Packard engine in a Packard. "Shore 72" summed it up nicely. I strongly recommend against putting a non-Packard engine in the car.

Posted on: 2018/9/3 12:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've said this over and over, as soon as you swap the drivetrain on a Packard to something none Packard, you lose at least 50% of it's resale value in the future.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 8:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I can get a fuel pump kit for any Packard in a few days from Then-Now automotive. I don't buy the "parts availability from MY local store" angle to bastard engine swaps. There has been a Packard parts network in place for decades, and many parts at your local auto parts store fit a Packard IF you have the part number. Their computer isn't going to help you much. The key to reliability in a Packard is this: Don't leave things to chance: go through the fuel system, making sure everything is good, from the tank to the carburetor and everything in between.likewise the brakes and ignition systems. If you really travel in the car--tours, long trips, carry points, condenser, rotor, cap with you.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
AMEN...If you bring your Packard up to par and carry the few parts suggested above and a decent set of tools including a test light...the old girl will bring you home. Owen has had his 34 since the 60's and he has never mentioned (I don't think) that she has not brought him home. Maintenance is the key as in all mechanical things...often people as well...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/9/4 13:37
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved