Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Head Mounted Accessories
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Ok i have some questions, probably dumb ones but to me they are important (OCD maybe).

There are various and numerous accessories mounted to the head.

My first question is, i have new washers and nuts coming to mount the head, but the horn bracket, coil and air filter brace all use a head stud, nut and washer. On these brackets where does the washer go????? on the head or on top of the brackets???????

The second is, i see so many different ways the filter housing is mounted im confused as to whats correct or right. I see red housings with a silver handle to tighten the lid down (i have this one)and i see different sizes of black ones as well. Some of these filter housings are mounted on the head (my head has these 2 screw holes)and some are mounted on the side wall (mine is mounted here).what is right and wrong???? do i have a correct filter housing for my car?? and what filter am i supposed to use????

Posted on: 2018/9/3 20:24

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Mounted Accessories
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Can't answer your first question as none of my Packards have accessories using the head bolts (356 engines).

As far as the oil filter is concerned, the 110 and 120 didn't have one as standard equipment. Packard did offer an oil filter as an accessory and is shown in the brochure as attached to the head. I would think that a lot of people added an aftermarket oil filter which could have been attached elsewhere. In that case, I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. The filter to use depends on the brand/dimensions of the canister installed (photo?).

Posted on: 2018/9/3 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
JD makes a good point. The ones offered for the 110 and 120 were most likely more expensive than the after market ones at that time. They were mounted where and as they could be made to fit...If you wish to have an original one, there are folks on the site that most likely have one to sell you. Kanter and Max Merritt and the Flackmaster would be good places to start your search. If they don't have one, they will try to send you to someone who does...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/9/3 22:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Washers should go on right before the nut.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 9:35
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Heres a picture of what i have, there are no stickers that i can see so i dont know the brand.

Attach file:

jpg  (235.16 KB)
167108_5b8e998e3e6e2.jpg 1920X933 px

jpg  (230.26 KB)
167108_5b8e99af8f433.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2018/9/4 9:43

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hey West, so they would go on top of the horn bracket, coil bracket and the air filter brace bracket??????

Posted on: 2018/9/4 9:45

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That oil filter is definitely an aftermarket product.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Any guess on a replacement cartridge?

Posted on: 2018/9/4 10:22

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
A NAPA 1080 fits the factory canister, you might try that. You might also pull the existing cartridge (assuming there is one in there) and see if it's identified with some markings. Otherwise, measure it and see if you can match it up with something NAPA offers.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Good idea JC, it seems as though maintenance on these cars just seem to avalanche in to multiple things. I started by changing the plugs and wires and ended up busting a plug off in the head, hence a new head job (looks pretty lol)now i have noticed the wiring is shot the insulation just crumbles so that will be next, also have a wrong temp sender...it works but the face of the gauge is wrong and the cable is WAY to long, needs a brake job and then i may be able to drive it a little LOL.......got to love these cars though.....i cant wait to hit the start button with everything right!!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/9/4 10:45

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved