Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
36 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Changing '55 to Negative Ground System
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Except for the AMP Meter, I have not found and gauges in a Packard the are polarity specific.

They are not unless they are on one of the later 51-6 models that have an instrument voltage regulator. If someone has changed out an original instrument voltage regulator to one of the individual gauge Runtz pieces or maybe a modern solid state voltage regulator circuit or assy then they would be polarity sensitive.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
Thank you.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 13:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard true, but all the gauges 51-56 use the exact same voltage regulator. (Packard P/N 458072).

Those regulators take in 6-15 volts and put out 5 volts, and because they are a simple chopper circuit, they are not sensitive to polarity.

So unless someone changed something, those "runtz" are not required on 51-54's when converting to 12v.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 13:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My apology to all. I made the switch to negative ground and re-polarized the system. I was waiting to update until after I had done the switch on the coil and amp meter, but several personal issues got in the way.

Everything worked fine (gauges, TL, seats, antennas, etc.). I've holding off on the amp meter because it is not easy to get to and I don't want to risk messing up something under the hood. I will in the next week or so flip the wires on the coil.

I had the radio converted and the wife is very happy about the way it sounds. Good reception both AM & FM. Good sound and it is impossible to tell that the radio is not original. I also good the Blue Tooth/USB port option.

All in all very happy with the way everything went.

Next task i to install air in the car, which I'm not looking for to doing.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 12:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you dont mind me asking, who did you use for the radio conversion, and what was the rough cost?

Posted on: 2018/9/29 15:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I used Bob's Radio & Television in Oceano CA (150 miles from me). The radio, Blue Tooth unit with USB port along with a new speaker set me back a little over $800. Great quality. Afterwards I found a place 15 miles from home that woud have charged $200 less for the same.

I'm out in the RV wine tasting in Paso Robles this week. When I get home tomorrow I'll get you info on his name and post some links to the radio system that was installed.

and don't hav

Posted on: 2018/9/30 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Be sure to stop at J.Lohr Winery! We're in Germany now and brought a case with us as it's not sold here.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I used Bob's because some friends had used him several years ago & were happy with his work. He installed a FMR-2.5 AM/FM receiver made by Aurora Design. I had him install their BTU-2.5BlueTooth/USB/ AC/MP3 unit. After it was installed in the Wonder Bar Tuner I went the Aurora's web site to find out more about the unit. While there I discovered Sandhurst Electronics, about 8 miles from me, and called them to find out how the same install would be. With a working Wonder Bar Tuner in very good shape Ross said he could do it for 600 to 650.

I'm completely happy with the radio & Bluetooth's performance.

Don - On wine tasting in California Central Coast, the wife & I are up there in out RV 4 to 5 times a year. This trip was for 5 days combining pleasure and business. I read your suggestion after we got home. We were at J. Lohr's about three years ago. When we go tasting, we usually share a tasting and limit it to 4 or so a day. This time we went to 3 of our favorites (Justin, Pear Valley & Dark Star) and probably 10 or so others.

What J. Lohr wine(s) did you take to Germany.

If anyone visits the Paso Robles area and like steak, I would recommend the Loading Chute in Creston. This is about 12 miles off the 101 and is mainly a locals restaurant. Great food and service. By the way down town Creston is about 2 block long with about 10 stores.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.36 KB)
1063_5bb637a8109ee.jpg 649X466 px

Posted on: 2018/10/4 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the band and functions change with an on/off combination or does it rely on another switch-- maybe the old strength select lever that was on the tuning side? Is the Wonderbar fully functional and can it be set for ether AM or FM stations or a combination?

IIRC, Mathew in Australia installed a complete modern AM/FM bluetooth etc radio from one of the repro vendors that was designed for a mid 50s Chevy dash. I believe he said it was a perfect fit in the dash with exception of the knob shaft lengths. The plastic knob and button color theme was black so maybe passable for Clipper but not Packard. Don't remember if he modified the shafts or left them alone but has anyone else tried that radio or looked to see if the knobs could be changed to Packard originals?

Posted on: 2018/10/4 11:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard,

The radio and Bluetooth (BT) modules are very small and were bolted to the inside rear wall of the WonderBar (WB) for heat dissipation. They are wired to the original WB switches. As you can see the outward appearance of the WB is unaltered with the exception addition of a small LED just right of the "16" on the faceplate. The color of the LED changes to show what type of mode it is operating. You are correct in assuming to change from between AM & FM you turn the radio on & off. You can have up to 4 speakers and the radio will determine how many speakers are connected (in my case 1).

On/Off, Tone, Tuning, WonderBar seak Function, and Pre-sets work just like an original WB. You have 5 preset buttons to use and these are either AM or FM and not both. To answer the phone you hit the bar once and to hang up you tap it twice. With both modules you can play music from a USB memory stick, a MP3 player or music on a cell phone.

You can look at the manuals for both the WB and the BT to see how they work and the knob function.

Attach file:

jpg  (173.89 KB)
1063_5bb7b01e62906.jpg 1920X609 px

Posted on: 2018/10/5 13:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved