Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake Linings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On down hill grades I've been having problems with the brakes over heating. Therefore, I'm considering replacing the linings on the shoes and want to make sure that I get the best possible material to do the job with -- any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, since they need to riveted on I've looked into trying to find a local shop that does that type of work, but I've been unsuccessful. What would it take for me to be able to do the job?

Posted on: 2018/10/6 15:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Linings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why do you say they need to be riveted? When I relined the shoes for my '34 Eight maybe 40 years ago, I went with molded and bonded lining and I consider the brakes on that car to be exceptional. I know some folks suggest that the thin layer of adhesive inhibits heat transfer to the shoes and that brass rivets enhance transfer; seems logical but I wonder if the difference is enough to make a meaningful difference in fade resistance.

There are those that make a case for woven over molded linings in part to minimize wear on irreplaceable drums. Again, no opinion. Its unlikely my '34 will need new brakes in my lifetime but if it did I'd search out old asbestos molded lining material which is still to be found and rivet it as bonding isn't (to my knowledge) a do-it-yourself operation.

Posted on: 2018/10/6 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Marston

San Diego area..

Also. 55.56...easy do it yourself..with Arbor press.

And clincher...

But you should have a brake and clutch outfit in la.

My dads 56 would get hot.. Down grades..

Less brake..and use low..

Posted on: 2018/10/6 18:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I have 1920's Packards and would never drive them down a steep hill in top gear if I need to use the brakes frequently to hold speed other wise the brakes will overheat. Under those conditions I always change down a gear so that frequent use of the brakes is not required

Posted on: 2018/10/7 3:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Marty,

Seeing this thread is in the V8 forum I'm presuming it refers to your lovely '55 Caribbean? Don't know anything about twin ultra's but is it possible to down shift and let engine braking assist as David suggested?

Edit - O_D as a Caribbean owner you'd be well versed to answer my question.

Posted on: 2018/10/7 4:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes Mal, Twin Ultramatic has a low range just as conventional Ultramatic does and it is effective in providing additional engine braking when descending long or steep hills.

Posted on: 2018/10/7 7:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DesertPackard
See User information
Check out www.porterfield-brakes.com in Costa Mesa, Ca. They are well known in racing circles. They will reline your shoes with a high performance street lining. As of a couple of months ago their prices were 89.00-109.00 per axle depending on drum size.
As for drum wear, they said there will be virtually no increase, due to the fact that the linings get their performance not from being a lot more aggressive (they are slightly), but from keeping their friction capabilities when hot.
I have 2 older station wagons that I plan on upgrading after going on tours in hill country. I can still hear the screaming and smell the linings...

Posted on: 2018/10/7 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I didn't notice that the question related to V8's, My comment was about the early cars based on the avatar.

Posted on: 2018/10/7 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks for all the inputs. I'll look at getting the shoes relined and give porterfield-brakes a call tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

Posted on: 2018/10/7 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I've used low and they still over heat on short grades where I feel it should be a problem. The last time was on a series of short down hill grade. I was barley able to stop the car before starting down the last grade. I got down to 3 mph and put the car in reverse to stop in time to the them cool down.

Mal the lovely '55 Caribbean you refer to is not mine. It is the wife's car. She informed me a year and a half ago that when she paid the house off she was going to buy a '55 or '56. House was paid for June 2017 and the car was hers less than 2 months later. We bought it at an auction in Limerock CT. Because there was a torrential rain storm the day of the auction we got it at a good price. I'm guessing that we got it for less than 15 to 20K less than what it is worth. She lets me drive it and of course she lets me maintain and work on (LO).

After discussing with Porterfield Brakes, I'm going to go with them. I'll wait until after Christmas during our rainy season before doing the job. They are ~75 miles from home and have a 10 day turnaround. I plan on replacing the brake fluid and will use either DOT 4 or 5.1.

Posted on: 2018/10/9 13:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved