Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 74

Don B, Pipesargent, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Packard Super Eight Touring Sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Hans Klaver
See User information
Hello all,

I am working on the restoration of my Packard
Right now, I want to disassemble the body of the frame and I want to know, can I disassemble the body with the wooden frame and floor in it.

Can someone give me some advice where are the points where the body is conected with the frame.

I realise that this question is easier made than answered but I have to start somewhere.

Awaiting your response,
Sincerely yours,
Hans Klaver
The Netherlands

Posted on: 2018/10/29 16:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard Super Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hans,

Don't have experience at this but my thoughts are:

- I'm presumimg you're talking about removing the body from the frame?

- When built, I think your Packard would have had the complete assembled body, including structural wood, "dropped" onto the frame at the factory on the assembly line.

- Presuming, again, that your body wooden structures are reasonably sound ie they aren't falling apart from rot, you should be able to carefully lift the body off the frame.

- If there is rot and it's serious you may have to brace the body either by tack welding, say, angle iron to hold the metal together, or re-inforce the wooden structure, or both.

- Don't know where the connecting points are but there probably wouldn't be more than say 6 on each side of the frame. When removing these take note of the shimming used for future reference for when the body goes back on the frame. Helped a mate put a body back on his '34 some years back and there were 6 or less attaching points on each frame rail. Undercar inspection should locate these fairly readily I'd think.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be along soon to put me back on the straight and narrow!

Posted on: 2018/10/29 17:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Mal's advice is spot on. Pay close attention to the shimming of each mount.

On a '38, there shouldn't be any wood- I think that was the first year for all steel bodies for Packard.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 19:51
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1938 Super Eights still have structural wood in the body construction, as do the 1938 and 1939 Twelves. But the 1939 Super Eight is all steel.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Owen, thanks for the clarification - my mistake. Learned something today.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 20:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Hans Klaver
See User information
Hello Mal,
Thanks for your answer

It is indeed removing the body from the frame.
First I want to sand blasting the frame and do a new paint job for the frame.
I am glad that your anwer is "have had the complete assembled body, including structural wood, "dropped" onto the frame "
I think it makes removing the body much easier and now I have a way to get the the body from the frame
Some pieces of the wooden pillars are in bad shape (rot /powder) so i have to remake them or buy them if that is still posible.
Do you know or there are drawings of the pillars.
Next question is how do I remove the wooden pillars and other wooden pieces from the steel body ?

The next time I wil add some pictures of the pillars.

Regards
Hans Klaver

Posted on: 2018/10/30 17:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved