Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stupid Question regarding piston rings
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If I have pistons that are stamped .030, what rings should I order? My initial reaction is that I should get .030 ('30 over) rings, but if the block has been bored and the pistons are oversized, wouldn't the rings be different than using oversized rings on a standard piston?
Thanks,
John

Posted on: 2018/11/2 8:10
 Top  Print 

Re: Stupid Question regarding piston rings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Oversize rings should never be used on/with standard bore pistons. Wherever you read that, burn that book!

Replacement pistons are stamped with the oversize; the ring package is marked with the corresponding oversize.

The piston skirt is measured with a micrometer. The cylinder is bored and honed .001" - .003" larger to fit that piston.

The rings are inserted into the bore and the end gap is measured. If the gap is less than specified, the ring ends are filed to fit.

jack vines

Posted on: 2018/11/2 10:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks Jack. I figured that was the case, but couldn't kick that memory of installing oversized rings onto a standard piston to account for worn cylinders. Of course, that was almost 60 years ago!

Posted on: 2018/11/2 11:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Thanks Jack. I figured that was the case, but couldn't kick that memory of installing oversized rings onto a standard piston to account for worn cylinders. Of course, that was almost 60 years ago!

Your memory is sort-of correct, but as my mother said many times:

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Quote:
but if the block has been bored and the pistons are oversized, wouldn't the rings be different than using oversized rings on a standard piston?

No, it was the same rings, whether a patch job or a proper rebore.

However, yes, back in the bad old days, when Studebakers and Packards were orphan cars on their last stop before the junk yard, owners would patch them. The pistons were knurled, cylinders honed, .010" oversize rings were installed. The result slapped and smoked for another few thousand miles.

For really worn pistons and really cheap owners, there are tool kits with a cutter to square up worn ring grooves and then a thin spacer, like one used on the oil rings, was fitted under the new rings.

jack vines

Posted on: 2018/11/3 15:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved