Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 Packard Senior Series Side Mount Lock Issue
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardBob
See User information
My friend just bought a 1938 Packard 4 door sedan Senior Series that has been sitting for the past 40 years. The car has 40,200 miles on it and runs and stops. He has the keys to the locks that secure the side mount tires in place. He is able to turn the key in the locks. Even though he turns the key, something must not be working because everything just spins and doesn't engage the nut to remove it. Can anyone shed some light on what he might be missing?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted on: 2018/10/22 11:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard Senior Series Side Mount Lock Issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
These are Oakes locks, the problem is not entirely uncommon when they haven't been used in 40 or maybe even 50 or 60 or more years. Try a small shot of PB Blaster into the key slot and allowing to soak for a few minutes. If that loosens it up, then a little graphited lock lubricant now and every 25 or so years would be a good idea.

Posted on: 2018/10/22 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
turn and take the key out in the unlocked position. In the locked position, the bolt head will just spin,as you note.

Posted on: 2018/10/22 13:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oldrookie
See User information
Thanks guys, with your help I was able to get them off!

Posted on: 2018/11/10 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I have been following this as I have a similar issue.

I had the same problem. I used the PB blaster and since I didn't have a key, I dusted off my lock picking skills and was able to get the lock off.

Now, is there a trick to getting the sidemount covers and tire out of the well. Yes, I understand that is pretty rudimentary, but I have learned to ask before trying to tear something apart.

Posted on: 2018/11/14 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I've never had side mounted tires, so my suggestion is only that. Can you let the air out of the tires?

Posted on: 2018/11/14 9:44
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Steve,

I haven't had any either and definitely not with covers.

Letting the air out kind of defeats the purpose of the spare I would think.

I don't know if you push down, rotate, beat with a tire iron, pull a secret lever???

Thanks for the effort.

Bill

Bill

Posted on: 2018/11/15 8:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Easy...let the chauffeur handle any need to remove the sidemounts. Alternately, call AAA or the local Packard dealer's service truck for roadside assistance. When these are not options on what is always a dark and rainy night when you are behind schedule, having removed the hubcap, locking bolt and plate, carefully wiggle the tire a little bit towards the outside and swing the threaded rod that the locking bolt went into back towards the inside - it pivots to be nearly vertical with the inside of the fender. I think there is also a little pivot thingy against the inside of the tire rim that also can pivot a bit out of the way. Now, for the fun part....gather all your strength and lift the nearly 100lb wheel, tire and cover assy. out, without scratching the fender, pulling any back muscles or otherwise reorganizing the english language. Now, simply for added enjoyment of this ownership experience, with one hand pull the tire cover enough to release the front faceplate and the inside shields. Next, to remove the cover from the tire treads, gather your last adrenaline fueled exasperation and kind of pull and uncurl the cover off, all the while thanking the automotive designers for their most thoughtful attention to this easy task.

Did I get this right?

Posted on: 2018/11/15 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

I dealt with this problem in the past on my 1935 eight and posted about on the forum here. The conclusion we came to was that the original tires were a little skinnier than today's tires. My advise; leave the sidemounts where they're at, throw a spare in the trunk for if you need it.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 8:44
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I finally got my sidemount out. Needed a 1 ton engine hoist and a lawyer son in law. It is the original 8.25 x 17 tire, but it had become wedged in the rubber in the wells after almost 50 years. It pulled the rubber out of the well when the tire came out.

Posted on: 2019/1/15 10:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved