Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch issues with 1938 V 12 Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
My 38 V12 Club Sedan's clutch would not engage until it was almost all the way up, meaning it had about 1/4 inch free play. The clutch did not slip even with this small amount of free play. It should have an inch to one and a half inch free play. This car has vacuum assist clutch as well as vacuum assist power brakes. I loosened up the linkage to give it the proper free play and could not get it in gear. I thought the clutch disk was worn out so I had disk and pressure plate rebuilt by Surge, a reputable rebuilder in the Chicago area. Also had flywheel resurfaced and ordered new throw out bearing. My old throw out bearing was good and identical to new one, so used old one. After doing all of this and throwing $700.00 at it, i still have the same issue. The existing pressure plate had been welded on and broke in two pieces while being tested. Bought good core and had it rebuilt. The throw out bearing is against the pressure plate at all times which is not right. It is like the clutch rod is not moving far enough to completely release the clutch disk. The clutch fork is in the proper position is not bent and clutch disk is free on transmission splines. It does not appear the vacuum assist part is working. Is it possible the mechanical part of the linkage moves the pressure plate a certain distance and the vacuum assist part moves it the rest of the way? I am stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

Posted on: 2018/11/18 21:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Clutch issues with 1938 V 12 Club Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No direct experience here, but have you followed the adjustment procedure as given for the power clutch in the 1938 Twelve shop manual? If you haven't already done that, that would be a good place to start, it looks pretty simple and straight forward and it does involve the vacuum booster action.

Posted on: 2018/11/19 10:08
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I do have a 38/39 shop manual. Evidently I overlooked this procedure. It is straight forward. I will follow the instructions and post results.

Thanks

Williej

Posted on: 2018/11/19 14:58
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I followed the procedure in shop manual the adjust clutch and got it adjusted. Need to fine tune a little crxause tranny wants to grind gears a little going to second and high but is much better. Interesting how it works to follow instructions!

Posted on: 2018/11/23 12:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yup, sometimes just following directions produces great results.

If you determine that gears still tend to clash after the clutch is adjusted fully, note that the transmission synchronizers on these senior transmissions are adjustable to compensate for wear. The 2nd to 3rd synchro can be adjusted with the trans in the car, just requires shim adjustment at the rear bearing.

Posted on: 2018/11/23 14:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved