Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Does anyone know of any place in the USA that mixes paint the old way. By formula.

Seems everything is computer ..

Posted on: 2018/11/28 8:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: Paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Riki, probably almost no cases where you can mix the "old way" by formula as many if not most of the original pigments and other paint additives have been replaced by modern substitutes.

Posted on: 2018/11/28 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And unless you are painting the entire car I would be careful of using any paint made by formula -- even modern -- because the car could have faded or changed color in some respect over the years. New original color to formula paint next to the old might stick out like a neon sign.

IMO, if you are trying to touch up and it is possible to take something like a gas filler lid off the car do that and have it matched to what the paint looks like now. I did that with the 47 and the guy made a perfect match to the however many year old Earl Scheib or equivalent $29.95 paint job special that is on the car.

If you are looking for formula paint you might find the color at TCP Globalhttp://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ but it will be modern material. Being that you are in Calif, even the choices you can buy are seriously restricted compared to what someone in another state could have made and shipped to them. Our Air Resources board and their apparent motto of "If it stinks, don't allow it in California" is very persuasive when it comes to shipping something to a Calif zip code.

Posted on: 2018/11/28 10:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks

Dave ..hh.

Painting whole car.

Guess it Will have to be winged..with color chart.

None of the club's have current updated Color charts?

Posted on: 2018/11/29 0:49
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote: "If it stinks, don't allow it in California"

Would be nice if California used that motto on their politicians, that would clear up a lot of smoke

Posted on: 2018/11/29 8:29
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Color charts didn't really match paint when new, and decades later certainly won't tell you the original color. If you can check out original cars or as said an unexposed area of paint you will get a much better idea of the colors

Posted on: 2018/11/29 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BDC wrote:
Quote:

HH56 wrote: "If it stinks, don't allow it in California"

Would be nice if California used that motto on their politicians, that would clear up a lot of smoke

Can't deny California has contributed a few clunkers but then the same can be said for Texas and a few other states so I guess it evens out.

Posted on: 2018/11/29 10:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I agree it applies to both sides of the aisle!

Posted on: 2018/11/29 11:10
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Find the Ditzler and/or Dupont paint chips in the Packard Literature section for 1956. Get the colors and formulas of the paint you want. Contact PPG industrial/automotive paints and ask them to translate the formula to modern materials. They will send the formula to your paint shop, not to you. PPG bought Ditzler, so they know how to translate the formula.

If you are painting it yourself, then the online store recommended by HH56 will be very close.

There are few places if any in Oregon where a paint shop can shoot lacquer. It's bad for the environment. PPG can mix EnvironBase for the color. This is a water-based color that bonds with industrial metal primer. Then clear urethane goes over that. I think the glossiness of the urethane can be knocked back a bit if you're a purist to a point below what someone here call Bo Derrick rising from the sea.

If you don't know Bo,https://www.listal.com/viewimage/6817848h

Again, if you can find a small flat piece of metal in the original color that has not been exposed since new, take it to an industrial paint supplier and they will scan with a spectrometer that gives them the formula to match original.

Posted on: 2018/11/29 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Joe's advice is good. Only thing I would add is that spectrophotometer match works well for straight shades,but should be visually checked for metallics as the particles scatter light and spectrophotometers work off of reading the wavelengths of reflected light.

Posted on: 2018/11/29 14:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved