Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Coolant Crossover Gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm ordering a gasket set for the water distribution manifold on my 1956 Clipper as mine has an ear broken off at the rear flange of the thermostat housing. I have a good replacement casting so want to have the gaskets ready in case I get the urge to install it.

The question is, apparently the Victor catalog lists six of the flange gaskets when the casting has only four flanges. There was some mention that the other two were for something at the back of the block so what's there that uses them?

My familiarity with V8s is exclusively Cadillac 429 and Imperial 413 (and when I was young, the Ford 292 as I had two 1957s). I've owned this Clipper for many decades but never worked on its engine before so I am a Packard V8 newbie.

Posted on: 2018/12/6 15:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Coolant Crossover Gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The heads are identical and symmetrical so have the same openings in back as those used by the manifold crossover at the front and need the same gaskets. The rear openings are covered by heavy stamped sheet metal plates or brackets. In addition to holding the Ultra throttle cross linkage piece if the car has an Ultra, the plates also have threaded holes for a couple of screw in items. The plate on the left head contains the temp sender and the one on the right head contains either a plug or if the heater is installed, the hot water outlet port

Attach file:

jpg  (79.02 KB)
209_5c0989072b00b.jpg 854X762 px

Posted on: 2018/12/6 15:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Coolant Crossover Gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! I knew there was a simple explanation and good to know that the heads are interchangeable left to right.

Posted on: 2018/12/6 16:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved