Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Late '20's Packard Touring Marshalled for a parade
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

This photo appeared on an AACA Forum thread without explanation where or why all these Packard tourings were marshalled. I'd conjecture it was for a major parade, perhaps that for Charles Lindbergh's New York City welcome. At any rate, its a sight to make your eyes water.

Your ideas on the when and why?

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (143.38 KB)
409_5c12a83c15556.jpg 945X750 px

Posted on: 2018/12/13 13:43
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: Late '20's Packard Touring Marshalled for a parade
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting photo, I'd like to know more about it. It's interesting to note that single rear-mounted spares are favored over sidemounts.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Historical Notes

The parade through Downtown Los Angeles took place on September 21, 1927, four months to the day after Col. Lindbergh flew solo non-stop from Roosevelt Field to Paris aboard the "Spirit of St. Louis".^

(1927)#** - Photograph of parked automobiles at the parade for Charles Lindbergh. Approximately nine rows of cars are parked door-to-door in an alleyway flanking the parade route. Two billboards are attached to the wall at left and advertise for "Sun-Maid Raisins" and "Snowdrift for Cake". A second parking lot can be seen across the street.

Above from waterandpower.org

I'd bet that Earle C. Anthony was involved. I thought I recognized my hometown... I was right.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 21:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's Lindbergh riding in a rose-bedecked Packard (I am basing my assumption that it's a Packard on the hubcaps ).

Source: waterandpower.org

Attach file:

jpg  (96.88 KB)
188_5c13bfeda776b.jpg 664X655 px

Posted on: 2018/12/14 9:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi JD in KC

Thanks for tracking down the context for the first photo and adding the second. Given that every car is a Packard parked cheek to jowl, perhaps this lot was adjacent to one of his dealerships on the parade route. What a nice sop to his customers to invite them to exclusively use his lot for their convenience to attend this major event. The rose-covered Packard likely was ECA's contribution too.

I'm not picky, any one of those tourings would be just fine...though I'd prefer an Eight.

"Snowdrift for Cake" must have been a regional cake flour brand. I haven't seen "Swan's Down" for years, there was a Pillsbury's "Snow Sheen" cake flour at one time too. At least Sun-Maid Raisin is still with us.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/12/14 17:07
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I think Earle C. Anthony's showroom was about 3 blocks from the parade route.

PS - Snowdrift was a shortening.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.65 KB)
188_5c152532d93a8.jpg 640X426 px

Posted on: 2018/12/15 10:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Also from the AACA Website is this thread with a Packard decorated to celebrate Lindbergh.

Posted on: 2018/12/16 2:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved