Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

20's Packard Engine Identification - newbie/advice
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WPE
See User information
Hello,

I have a Packard 8-cylinder engine complete. Photo attached.

The engine number is #167004

I reviewed your helpful PDF and trying to discern if it is a standard production engine or if a speedster (6th series). Perhaps I'm not reading the PDF properly.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. (also, please make no reference to the sheet tin/rad in the photo - that body (non-Packard)has long since been sold off). Thanks!

-Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (59.67 KB)
188170_5c6b1fd172efc.jpg 802X452 px

Posted on: 2019/2/18 16:13
-Willie Paul
52 Packard 200 Coupe "La Carrera" tribute
26 Packard 136" chassis with 29 HP Eight engine
62 Triumph TR4 roadster custom
95 Ferrari 456 GT manual
70 BMW r75/5 "scrambler"
04 Mercedes g500
 Top  Print 

Re: 20's Packard Engine Identification - newbie/advice
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting question.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable of the 6th Series Speedsters (there aren't many who are) and have sent your photo to someone who is, we'll see what he has to say. In the meantime, certainly the motor number suggests a 626 Speedster motor is possible. If you'll indulge me a few questions which may or may not be relevant, are the spark plugs 7/8" or 18mm threads? Do you know the part number of the camshaft? If the motor is still associated with its original differential, what's the ratio?

Posted on: 2019/2/18 18:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looking at the Engine Serial Number Reference document on Site it appears there's some "confusion" with the Engine Numbers for the 6th Series Speedsters overlapping with those for the Custom and Deluxe Eights. The number quoted, 167004, is one of the numbers in the overlap area.

Note - Click on pic for a larger image

Attach file:

png  (402.04 KB)
226_5c6b4e6c92d18.png 1366X768 px

Posted on: 2019/2/18 19:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mal, I don't see the source cited for those motor numbers for the 640/645 but they don't agree with other sources (including Turnquist) that give a starting number for the 640/645 as 167,013.

Not saying one or the other is correct but when data is in conflict, documentation like our chart should cite the source and note the controversy.

Posted on: 2019/2/18 19:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

In that case looks like the Engine Serial Number Reference chart needs a correction, which would remove any confusion. Could be why the question was asked?

Posted on: 2019/2/18 20:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A correction would not be appropriate until we determine which data is correct, Turnquist's or the unnamed source used in our chart. In the absence of determining which is correct (pretty likely in this case), you really have to give equal visibility to both possibilities and note the sources of the data.

Posted on: 2019/2/18 20:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Interesting. I've never heard anybody state that the Turnquist numbers are incorrect, or questionable. I will look forward to hearing the reply from the expert that Dave has sent the info to.

There was a "barn find" 1929 Packard that was for sale a few years ago, and I believe it was discussed on PackardInfo.com at the time. It was in Pennsylvania, and had a non-Packard (possibly Lincoln) modified Judkins body on it (if I remember correctly), and I think the chassis was also either not Packard, or from a different year. It was determined at that time that the engine had a Speedster number on it. Is this the same engine?

In the 1929 Packard Speedster world, there are only two known authentic 1929 Speedsters that exist (a phaeton and a roadster), plus a third that has been rebodied.

Because there is VERY LITTLE difference between the Speedster engine and the Deluxe/Custom Eight engine, there doesn't seem to be much value difference. In addition, the value of the car(s) is probably not much different than that of a Deluxe Eight dual cowl phaeton, mainly because they aren't nearly as attractive, and because no one outside the Packard Speedster world would know it's unique.

EDITED DUE TO INFORMATION THAT DAVID BROUGHT TO LIGHT IN A LATER POST.

Posted on: 2019/2/19 8:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
West-
If i remember correctly the BARN FIND ur thinking of had a body mfg for RR sitting on the PACKARD chassis.Thought it would be a great find to build up a correct Thompson Special/Glasscock Speedster which i believe was built on a 29 Speedster chassis.

https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1673

Posted on: 2019/2/19 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Yes. That sounds more correct.
I wonder what happened to it, and is it the same as the one that Wes has posted above???

Posted on: 2019/2/19 9:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2019/2/19 10:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved