Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

Alvin14, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Bob's '55 Patrician Blog
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The intermittent cross firing mostly affects cylinders 5 and 7. These two rear cylinders on the LH bank fire in sequence (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2). Separating the wires to the far ends of the standard small brackets helps to mitigate this problem. Retrofitting the longer brackets, as Howard describes, is a better fix, but they are getting hard to find.

Posted on: 2019/2/21 12:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
I do have the original plug wire supports. Been looking for the wider '56 ones but haven't seen them available at Borth (haven't called Dulinksy yet). I will look and pay special attention to closely paralleled wire, esp 5 & 7.

thanks for the advice.

Posted on: 2019/2/21 13:10
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Took the distributor apart tonight. All looks in decent shape. This time I went down to the counterweights. I little old oil buildup, but the weights were still freely moving. Cleaned it all up and reassembled. There was no side to side play at all; nary a wobble. There is about 1/8" up and down play but I believe that to be normal.

So distributor seems to be good. If I knew of a place near Houston that had one of those Sun distributor testing places (or equiv) I would take it there to see if it is operating perfectly. Maybe I will call around, in a city this big there has to be someone reputable. I'll also do the dist tests in the service manual to adjust spring tensions etc.

Attach file:

jpg  (299.68 KB)
120663_5c6f845a09601.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (225.56 KB)
120663_5c6f856216d2f.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/2/22 0:10
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
End play should be about .010 so if 1/8" some shimming is in order.

Posted on: 2019/2/22 1:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
So , upon actually measuring the gap and resulting play, it is more like 0.060". The rounded, tapered edge of the shaft gave the wrong illusion of something bigger.
If it was moving up and down that much, would it really make a difference? that amount of up/down movement seems to be small compared to the height of the cam and the cam-follower.

Attach file:

jpg  (192.46 KB)
120663_5c706a643a566.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/2/22 16:32
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Up and down movement of the helical gear if it occurs will result in changes advance/retard to your ignition timing, back and forth with each gear movement. You need to do a little math to see if the amount would be significant.

Posted on: 2019/2/22 18:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
OK, I'll add math to the weekend chores. If the up/down movement is out of spec, what wears that allows this to happen? There is no perceptible side to side or wobble movement. Is this a normal wear condition? Is the solution to remove the helical gear, remove the shaft and add a washer or similar to take out the play? Or is this a result of the top bearing wearing down and needs to be replaced?
Removing the pin that holds the helical gear seems to be undoing factory installs, so I'm not super confident this is the right approach for a garage mechanic to unswage then reswage the gear. Not sure how much to dig into this or if this calls for professional help (whomever that is.....)..

Attach file:

jpg  (186.08 KB)
120663_5c70aaa0adaa7.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/2/22 21:06
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I added a pointless system to my 1965 Cadillac, the kit came with shims of different thicknesses and removing the roll-pin, adding shims as needed, then putting the pin back in was easy but I've never had to do it on a Packard so not sure what the details are. As I recall, the shims were smoother and flatter than just plain washers so perhaps your local Napa store might have what you need.

Because of the helical gear, there is always longitudinal pressure that causes wear in that direction.

Posted on: 2019/2/22 21:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
I filed the ends of the pin off, then used a center punch to knock it through the other side. Since I didnt want to bend the shaft, I was careful to support the shaft all around where I was hammering.

Have some Moroso 26140 distributor shims on order that are for the 0.5" shaft. Looking at replacing the pin. It is 3/16" and a 1" will work if I flatten the edges to make it stay. Also thinking about using a 1" roll pin from the local ACE hardware store. Seems like that may give enough pressure to stay in.

Saw a replacement NOS dist gear on ebay for $35, but i think the one I have is in decent shape? I don't see much wear on the gear itself, but not easy to tell without a side by side comparison with a new one. Maybe it is the slot for the oil pump shaft that wears, Not sure.

Hope to get this back together next weekend.

Attach file:

jpg  (288.44 KB)
120663_5c733d2163458.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/2/24 19:57
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The roll pin should be just fine as there is virtually no torque involved and roll pins are quite strong. If the solid one is a standard dowel pin, it's probably hardened so you won't be able to roll it over but if you decide to go that route you'll need a ground piece of mild steel.

Posted on: 2019/2/24 22:25
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved