Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is There A Fuse Block?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
My 1956 400 has me scratching my head again. The exterior lights come on when a door is opened, but the interior lights don't. I figure it's a blown fuse, but I have no idea where to look for it. Is there a fuse block in this car? (I've looked but can't find one.) Or is it a problem of searching for an individual inline fuse somewhere?

As always, any help appreciated.

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2019/3/4 16:56
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Re: Is There A Fuse Block?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55-56 cars do have a somewhat limited fuse block located above the steering column under the dash as well as a few more inline holders most of which are in the engine compt. The 56 interior courtesy lights and a couple of other items are fed from the body feed fuse in that fuse block.

Note that some of the fuses are the old SFE type and depending on the amperage rating are different and specific in length so need to be the same to fit in the fuseblock. I don't remember the length of the body feed fuse but if it is shorter than the modern 3AG fuse standard, NAPA has a good selection of SFE fuses but you will need to buy them by the box of typically 5 fuses.

Attach file:

jpg  (293.59 KB)
209_5c7da3866d135.jpg 1674X1210 px

Posted on: 2019/3/4 17:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
HH56: Thanks. I looked in that area, but must have missed the fuse block. I'll check again tomorrow.

I bought a lot of the old SFE fuses at auctions back in the 70's and still have most of them. I think I may have the one Packard used.

Appreciate the help!

Posted on: 2019/3/4 18:49
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Found the fuse block, should have seen it first time I looked. Now the interior lights appear to be working, but I only find two on the sides above the back seat and one above the radio just under the lip of the padded dash. I guess I was expecting to find a couple under the sides of the dash like in my 23rd Series Deluxe Eight. I looked, but didn't see any. Are there any other interior lights besides those three?

Posted on: 2019/3/5 14:48
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nope. The center map light in front took the place of the two underdash courtesy lights and on a hardtop there are two quarter lights in the back instead of the single lamp over the rear window on sedans. For manual operation with doors closed, turning the headlight switch all the way to the left turns them all on in the 400 whereas in a sedan the headlight switch would turn the front on and a pillar switch would turn the rear light on.

Posted on: 2019/3/5 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
OK and thanks again. Guess I've got them all working. Time to obsess over something else!

Posted on: 2019/3/5 15:35
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved