Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removal Headlamp Switch 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm having problems removing the headlamp switch in my '55. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated. Some pictures might also be helpful.

I see the instructions of page 47 of the electrical section, but I'm having problems with the knob and could use some helpful hints.

Thanks In Advance

Posted on: 2019/3/13 13:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Removal Headlamp Switch 1955
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The knob has a small notch on the edge. Use a small screwdriver and put the blade in the notch and push in against a sort of spring feel to release a clip which sits in a groove on the shaft. When the clip is pushed in hold it in while you pull the knob off.

Once that is done you need the special tool and as long as someone has not tried to remove the bezel using needle nose pliers or the like and messed up the hex opening in the nut the switch should come right out.

Details are in the service manual electrical section page 47. The tool has been reproduced but I don't know offhand who has them. If you cannot find one you can get a hex standoff or maybe an ordinary coupling nut for a couple of dollars and drill out the center hole to fit the light switch shaft. Glue it into a handle or leave it as is and turn it with a small wrench or pliers. Hex size needs to be 1/4" measured across the flats and the hole for the shaft needs to be 3/16 or a tad larger. I used a two inch standoff but it doesn't need to be that length as long as you leave room for the shaft to extend into any handle you might add.

Here is a standoff similar to the one I used for my tool which I made to look much like the factory tool in the SM. McMaster has the standoffs in aluminum, brass or steel.https://www.mcmaster.com/91780a176 Coupling nuts might be in a hardware store but many of those are too large starting around 5/16 across the flats.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard,

As I understand you, I need a 1/4" hexagon with a hole in it that slips over the shaft. I have some 1/4 brass hexagon stock that I can put on my lathe and drill a hole in it deep enough do the job.

I'm not sure why, but having problems removing the knob. I can remove the knob from the antenna without any problem. I assume that it is the same method as the headlamp switch.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 14:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All the 55-6 knobs come off the same way. It is possible something has happened to break the clip. If the screwdriver was in the notch and the clip was forced inward or outward it could have broken off the front part facing the notch that the screwdriver needs to push against. Another possibility is someone wedged something behind the clip to add more pressure and force the clip into the shaft groove tighter.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.03 KB)
209_5c895c4a3558e.jpg 814X592 px

Posted on: 2019/3/13 14:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Get some lubricant. In there. Sometimes they will pull off

Posted on: 2019/3/13 19:13
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks to everyone for your help. The switch has been serviced and is back in the car.

Posted on: 2019/3/26 9:39
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved