Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25)

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I see you have the Egyptian hood ornament..congrats!!

Posted on: 2019/3/19 10:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I see you have the Egyptian hood ornament..congrats!!

Robert (Rscott77x), don't be too fast. Mal's hood ornament has two different sides and what he is showing to us is always the sunny side.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 11:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Mal's hood ornament has two different sides and what he is showing to us is always the sunny side."

Gerd,

This post shows both sides of said ornament before being polished.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 15:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Been over a year since any updates and with COVID-19 social isolation/distancing in place now is as good a time as any for an update.

After WJR Automotive finished their work then went to Batteries-U-Need for a replacement battery. Because the alternstor wasn't charging properly it had "fried"(technical term) the battery in there. B-U-N didn't have one of the long narrow 12V's, instead settled for a modern 12V battery used in local 4X4's. B-U-N also fabricated a mount to hold it.

Day after the new battery was installed, departed for the 18th National Packard Rally at Warrnambool, VIC, about 1,000+ kms south. See this thread for info on the Rally. The trip to Warrnambool was "relatively" uneventful the only concerns being oil consumption and, later, the fear of running out of fuel. Initially met up with MikeK in his '54 Convertible near Sutton Forest then proceeded in "convoy" to outside Goulburn where we pulled over in a lay-by to say G'day to RobertS. Robert was going to accompany us in his '36 120B Convertible Coupe but changed circumstance meant he was unable. Continued on down the Hume Highway where I pealed off at Albury as one of the grand-daughters was playing in a basketball tournament that day. A fortuitous co-incidence of happenings, you couldn't have planned to do that! Mike meanwhile continued on to Glenrowan famous for being Aussie bushranger(outlaw) Ned Kelly's last stand. Mike met up with AllanB & SandraM in their '47 Clipper sedan and where I caught up with them later for a very nice Pub dinner. The Pub was right next door to the Motel so it was only a few steps to stagger home afterwards.

Next morning fired up the cars in preparation for our departure only to discover I had an oil leak! Put us back over an hour until it was brought under control. Oil was coming from under the bolt holding down the by-pass oil filter canister lid. Reason for the leak was the fibre washer normally found between the bolt head and canister lid was missing. I'd had some work performed on the Packard earlier in March in preparation for the Warrnambool trip including an oil and oil filter change, maybe it came adrift then? Anyway, Mike had a tube of sealant which, after a clean up of the lid and nut, failed to do the job. That's my fault, because the sealant requires 1 hour to cure. In my impatience to get going, only allowed about 15 minutes and it obviously didn't work. Mike also had fibre washers, but we couldn't separate the bolt from the spring loaded retaining collar on the inside of the canister lid. Ended up splitting a washer to get it into position and again used sealant. Again, my impatience to get going resulted in another sealing failure. Rang GaryZ, not for technical advice but, because we were calling in on Gary at Miners Rest on our way. Needed to advise Gary that we'd be somewhat late. Just as well I called Gary, because he was able to provide relevant technical advice. Gary had a similar leak on a slant six Valiant engine oil filter some years previously and "fixed" the problem by winding copious amounts of thread sealing tape around the underside of the bolt head.

On the road again and off to Miners Rest where we said G'day, saw Gary's '48 Packard and his collection of other cars. However on leaving Miners Rest we bypassed, thanks to that marvel of modern technology a GPS, the fuel station we'd planned on topping up at. Then it was into the vast backblocks of central western Victoria where there NO Towns or fuel stations! Pushed on with one eye on fuel gauges, stopping briefly a couple of times for reassurance, then pushed on again. Finally came to Mortlake, a town with fuel stations, and filled up! And a more relaxed drive after that.

Once the Rally ended my original plan was, on the way home, to detour to visit a guy restoring an early Twin Six Packard. That would have meant a significant detour from the direct route and because the car was still using, not leaking, oil decided to forego that opportunity. Instead we convoyed again, this time a group of 4, the '47, the '50, the '54 and Lee & Marilyn's '51 200 Deluxe Club Sedan. The next day Mike and I headed back up the Hume Highway towards Sydney while Allan, Sandra, Lee and Marilyn turned more inland to reach their destinations. On the way home, I met up with Robert at Goulburn at the local swap meet.

Apart from local runs in the car the next big event was a garage day with Forum Member DavidM in Sydney, about 220kms return, and his Packards. Next big run was down to Goulburn for Christmas in July hosted by Robert & JanS, about 180kms return. Then, on the way home called into an Open Day at Penrose hosted by the Bentley Club, who also had their Chistmas in July that weekend. Next longer run was a 450kms round trip to Norah Head Lighthouse[/url].Then the next month is was a 200 km round trip for Shannons Sydney Classic at Eastern Creek. The following month saw a 170km run to Warragamba Dam.

During the latter part of 2019 I'd put the '50 up for sale and, at Shannons Sydney Classic had signs on the rear windows to that effect. My only other form of advertising was a For Sale Ad on the PACA Website and word of mouth. There was some interest at Shannons Sydney Classic with one guy following it up. Must have been fairly keen as he did a round trip of 550kms from Orange TWICE to inspect and drive the car. However his offer fell somewhat short of the asking price.

Not much more with car after that until, in the new year, at it's annual "safety check" a leaking exhaust required fixing. This was attended to by Boex at Mittagong.

Then in February there was this. With the For Sale signs still on the rear windows headed out to the Auction on Saturday, Inspection Day and Sunday, Sale Day. This generated interest, with a guy calling me as I was about to return to the Packard. The guy was actually there for the '28 Studebaker President Roadster(Check out this thread on the AACA Website re the Stude). Met up with him and gave him a "test drive" on the hillside of the cow paddock where the Packard was parked. The very undulating ride, I'm sure the PPG would have been comparable, obviously didn't deter him because the next day, after the auction was over he was back, his pockets not being deep enough to secure the Stude. Also had a few other queries from others who saw the window For Sale signs, but they went nowhere. Anyway, on the Monday after the auction the deal was done! Then on the Wednesday drove it the 260kms to its new home at Newcastle. Returned home using the railway system to first get to Sydney then home to Bowral.

And that friends is, I think, the end of my ownership of Packards. Although I also said much the same thing when I sold the '41 Coupe!

Attach file:

jpg  (309.48 KB)
226_5e900a7b3e54f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (160.29 KB)
226_5e900a8d7178f.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (340.07 KB)
226_5e900aa3881ab.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (182.42 KB)
226_5e900ab9177c8.jpg 1920X571 px

jpg  (275.31 KB)
226_5e900acb14df3.jpg 1920X1165 px

Posted on: 2020/4/10 0:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Mal, I have just the car for you. 1939 Richards eight Australian Bodied, 120D, dual sidemounts. With R6 overdrive and no rust, very complete. $2000. I can deliver for $200. Kath will never know.....or she will understand if she does...as they all do..... Men have appetites!!! I have a pic somewhere...I shall find it.

Peter Toet

Posted on: 2020/4/10 6:09
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Now that might get Mal's blood boiling, Peter. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/4/10 10:38
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Mal

Glad the '50 Eight has a good appreciative current conservator.

"And that friends is, I think, the end of my ownership of Packards. Although I also said much the same thing when I sold the '41 Coupe!"

Never say 'never'! There is still a Packard lurking out there with your name on it, just waiting to leap-up for your ownership. You have not had a 115/Six/110 experience yet, time to give one a try.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/4/10 11:51
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, the Eight Touring Sedan was two years with you. I hope that you look back to the days with your sea green friend with happiness.

Click to see original Image in a new window

And thanks for having updated the Registry entry.

Posted on: 2020/4/10 14:56
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:.....And thanks for having updated the Registry entry.
Gerd,
If I don't do that, who will?

Posted on: 2020/4/10 15:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25)

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved