Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Duane's 55 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
To start, I have owned this car over 20 years. I have driven it over 70,000 miles, not all trouble free, but fun. I got it as a parts car and repaired everything on it.
It took over 4 years to get it from parts car to driver. It is not a show queen but a daily driver.
When I bought it, the front grill was complete, I thought. The upper grill piece was missing the outside 'loops' to hold the ends to the fender. I have bought new upper grill pieces and noticed I am missing the part that goes from the side chrome piece through the front grill piece to the fender. It looks like it hooks to the side chrome piece and goes through the front grill piece to the fender.
The parts book does not show me how it goes.
Can some one post a picture of how this goes together?

The first picture was taken 15 years ago as the after.
The second pictures is the before picture as I found it in north Phoenix in 1998.

I have 5 other Packards,
one is Debi's 53 Patrician in another blog.
I have a 40 160 Sedan (running)
A 2nd 55 Clipper (with a blown head gasket, but it runs and needs everything)
A 48 Limo (141" wheelbase), doing brakes and need to put engine back together (the machine work is done).
A 48 Sedan its a parts car.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.38 KB)
1632_5c5cd6ea1a9ce.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (206.43 KB)
1632_5c5cd87a2e596.jpg 1920X1303 px

Posted on: 2019/2/7 20:18
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Re: Duane's 55 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Here are the pictures of the side chrome piece. All the holes have threads to hold a screw. The one near the grill is just a hole. I never had the piece for that part.
Is is a hook with threads on the end or what?
If you have a picture, please share it.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.14 KB)
1632_5c5cd932af882.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (14.95 KB)
1632_5c5cd93b9066e.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2019/2/7 20:22
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you looked at the photos in the service manual, section X, Fenders and Sheet Metal? There are several photos of the grill assy and how it mounts in that section. The long side pieces have studs which thread in the tapped holes in the diecast and pass thru the fender holes. There is a rubber washer and either a flat washer and regular hex nut or in some cases a one piece stamped sheet metal nut which has a integral flange to take the place of the flat washer.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Howard,
It says,"To remove the grille assembly, it is first necessary to remove the fender side mouldings to gain access to the corner retaining bolts."
It is these 'corner retaining bolts' that I am not sure about.
I thought that these bolts should hook to the fender side moulding to secure that as well.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 20:43
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall the side piece ends just go over the bolt on the corner piece with the end sliding under the corner piece a tiny amount to hold and hide the raw end of the side piece. The diecast is very rigid and not too far away from the end is the first stud.

Figure 3 of section X shows what they call an upper corner bolt that appears to be a hex head bolt already in place. The side piece is uninstalled and I don't believe there is anything else that can mount to the bolt or any way to access the corner bolt to tighten it if the side piece was on and fastened down.

One thing I can say is that due to tolerances there can be a gap between the bolt hole tab on the corner piece and the fender. If the bolt is tightened down with the gap the tab can crack or break off which, if someone didn't try to remove the grill not knowing there was a corner bolt to remove first, could also have been what happened to your original grill. If you run into that gap situation strongly suggest you add washers or shims between the tab and fender so the tab cannot be pulled down and break.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 21:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Thanks, now I'm waiting for my new chrome pieces.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 22:05
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Nice looking Clipper, Duane!! I just picked up a Panama. needs some love. I'm thinking about fixing the brakes and just enjoying it for awhile. I'll start my blog soon. Wish me luck!!

Posted on: 2019/3/22 3:21
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I might just start now with working on my Packards and just staying with this blog.
This episode I drove my 1940 160 Touring Sedan to a Club party here in Arizona. The car ran great to the party. It started up fine for the trip home, then I turned on the headlights and they didn't come on. I got a tow home, because you need headlights to drive at night.
I checked out the dimmer switch and it works fine. I have voltage turning on and off at the terminal block on the fender, but no headlights.
I pulled off the headlight bucket to check the headlights and I can't remember how to pull the outer ring out. So that's where I'm going to restart this blog.
Yes, I will add stuff about the 55 Clipper, when it needs work. Right now it is running fine. I did sell the 2nd 55 Clipper, so I am down to 5 Packards, 2 running, 2 needing work, and 1 is still a parts car.
So with the 40 160, I have 3 pictures. 1 for the headlamp bucket. 1 for page 35 in the manual of Fig 23 removing the headlamp outer rim. and the last one for the instructions on how to remove the outer ring. I have forgotten how. Can you help? I thought I would stop there before I do any damage.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.13 KB)
1632_5fcdbc0697856.jpg 378X504 px

jpg  (64.79 KB)
1632_5fcdbc14d6937.jpg 594X726 px

jpg  (18.00 KB)
1632_5fcdbc1d84ba4.jpg 679X167 px

Posted on: 2020/12/7 0:26
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Duane, very nice Clipper. Love the colors. If you put that together from a parts car, and drove it 70K miles, you definitely did a great job rebuilding it.

Posted on: 2020/12/7 18:59
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved