Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 87

Todd W. White, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 carb and vacuum advance question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I took the 41 for a test drive it went pretty well.the longer I drove it the better it seemed to run.I felt that possibly the timing was off do to bogging down when first accelerating.Today I checked to see if the vacuum advance was working it was not so I put a vacuum gauge on at the carb where the vacuum advance hooks up and there is no vacuum there.I checked and cleaned the elbow at the carb and also took the carb off and sprayed carb cleaner through the vacuum hole it was open.I put the carb back on still no vacuum. There is around 18 to 20 inches of vacuum at the intake.The carb is the correct aav 26 for the car.I thought maybe the throttle plates where open to far but they where only open a crack at idle.The engine idles very smooth so I dont think there is a vacuum leak.So why is there no vacuum? Also there is a plug at top rear of the intake if I put a vacuum line from there to the vacuum advance would that do the same job.

Posted on: 2019/3/25 14:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 carb and vacuum advance question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Look to see if the vacuum opening in the carburetor throat is above or below the throttle plate when at idle.

Check for vacuum at the carb fitting as the engine speed is increased above an idle when it should come into play.

Posted on: 2019/3/25 14:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 carb and vacuum advance question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I dont know why I did not throttle up the engine. I tried it today and there is vacuum there with engine throttle up.So the vacuum hole must be on the top of the throttle plate. I guess I was thinking of 60s and 70s cars when you pull off the hose for the vacuum advance there is vacuum there even at an idle.I put a small hose on the vacuum advance with distributor cap off and i can see the breaker plate move and it holds vacuum. Also checked the mechanical advance it moves and returns as it should.

Posted on: 2019/3/26 15:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved