Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

37Blanche, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1939 Packard 12 Limo Data Plate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
One for the experts. This is a picture of the data plate on the Packard 12 Limo to be auctioned shortly by the Gosford Motor Museum.

Opinions on whether it is a genuine or reproduction plate? The car serial number font does not look like others I've seen. Perhaps they were different in 1939?

The history of this car is very cloudy. It appears to be a US import and possibly an older restoration.It has a sticker on the screen for a restoration shop in Santa Ana, CA and a Packards International club sticker.

Cheers

Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (79.27 KB)
191498_5ca078db47fab.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2019/3/31 3:25
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard 12 Limo Data Plate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I would assume that the shop you are talking about in Santa Ana is Custom Auto Service owned by Robert Escalante (1-714-543-2980). You could email Robert. I'm sure he would be willing to provide more info on the car.

Posted on: 2019/3/31 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Robert is a great guy and will be interested in where the car is today. If it came through his shop at Third and French in Santa Ana, California...He will have information on it. Robert started in the shop washing parts and years along purchased the business so his memory goes back quite a ways...He also runs 'Packards International' and the fact that the car is now in Australia might mean a story for his magazine...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/3/31 10:54
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, that's a thought-provoking patent plate, to say the least. The general tag style is correct for a 1939 Twelve, it was used from the 16th Series (as a decal for Detroit production) thru the 22nd Series with of course appropriate changes in the actual patent numbers, and they were sourced in both tinned steel and aluminum.

The font is a bit of a puzzle and not what one would expect to see, I have seen what I believe to be that font and size used on postwar Packard patent plates and also on one or more prewar Canadian-built junior Packards and other early Packards but that doesn't necessarily mean it's correct or incorrect for the plate in question, it was obviously available to Packard whether it was or was not the correct one to use at that time. To quote Packard historian Arthur Balfour, "when it comes to Packard, never say never".

As to the stamping itself, it looks as if the 4th and 8 digits were afterthoughts and not stamped at the same time as the other 6 digits. Here's a possibility to ponder: at the point of initial body assembly Packard did not know if the vehicle was to be completed as a 1234 or the very similar 1235 so the plate was stamped incompletely and finished later when that decision was made. Sound plausible? Both 1234-2078 and 1235-2113 have survived and are available locally to me for examination of their plates which I'll try to accomplish soon.

FWIW, from what's visible of the theft-proof number, this body is a new-for-1939 Twelve body (as are those of the two cars noted in the previous paragraph), as opposed to a left-over 1938 Twelve body which about half of the 1939 Twelves had. Possibly that has a bearing of the font and stamping.

And what a shame someone carelessly mutilated the plate, looks like perhaps a solvent-wetted finger or cloth was swipted across the data section.

Posted on: 2019/3/31 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is a known genuine from a car that was owned by a former Packard employee.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.42 KB)
373_5ca12d9668993.jpg 450X800 px

Posted on: 2019/3/31 16:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks for that. I tried emailing Robert via Custom Auto Services a while back, but didn't hear back. I'll try again!

Cheers Brian

Posted on: 2019/3/31 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks Dave

I knew you'd throw some light on this.

I don't think there's much doubt about the car itself. It's quite original - possibly an older restoration. Tried to contact Robert Escalante after I saw the Custom Auto Service sticker on it. Didn't hear back, but will try again.

Interesting theory you put forward regarding the vehicle number being stamped in two bites. Yes, that's plausible. As you can see from the plate, it was supposedly delivered new in Chicago.

You're the expert on tpn's, so I'll take you word that this looks like a 1939 number. I don't doubt that it is.

What bothers me about the data plate is the "1". Other original 1939 plates I've seen show the exaggerated "I" with bars top and bottom. Like the example in the reply to my query. You mention that different fonts have turned up at various times.

Of course, if it is a reproduction it does not necessarily mean the contents are incorrect.

Many thanks

Brian

Posted on: 2019/3/31 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Well, that's a well worn plate! It clearly shows what I was concerned about. The "1" is quite different to the plate in my picture, which raises questions about its originality.

Regards

Brian

Posted on: 2019/3/31 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses to my question. I have learned the ownership history of this car from Peter Toet in Canberra, who is a walking encyclopaedia on the V12 cars in Australia!

This car was imported many years ago from the US and restored by Max Hood (a longstanding Packard Australia club member who has since passed away) then owned and fully road registered by collector Andrew Lidden. It was purchased around 2016 from Andrew's estate by the Gosford Classic Car Museum and is now up for auction. It is very similar (although possibly not as good as) the car sold last November at the Mecum Las Vegas auction for US$43,600. (That was reputedly 1235-1208. Doesn't sound right, either).

There is still a question mark over the originality of the data plate on the Gosford car. Responses so far suggest it's probably a reproduction. There is no documentation at all with the car except for an Owner's Manual.

Dave, for your records this car is TPN 476828. If the data plate is correct, it's 1235-2107.

Thanks again

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/1 2:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Here's mine:

Attach file:

jpg  (55.27 KB)
5061_5ca20d793257f.jpg 987X480 px

Posted on: 2019/4/1 8:09
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved