Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1939 Packard 12 Limo Data Plate
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All things considered, I believe the plate in question is a reproduction.

The vehicle number may very well be correct; the sequential production number of 107 is consistent with a known production of at least 113 (Charles Blackman analysis). And the theft-proof or body serial number is within 2 of the highest known 1939 Twelve body in any style.

Posted on: 2019/4/1 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you look closely at the plate in question the screws are burred and do not match the screws on the known genuine original plate which had never been off the car.

So the plate is probably not the original, although an attempt may have been made to "antique" it.

Looking at the known good plate it is easy understand why someone would put a new one on. But if I was doing the work the original would remain on the inside of the firewall.

The last Packard I did used the original at the owner's request, but plates on the earlier cars were much higher quality and not prone to deterioration.

Posted on: 2019/4/1 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks very much guys. Very helpful. Such a trove of valuable knowledge on this site!

Yes, it's looking like the plate may be a reproduction. If so, it was probably attached when Max Hood restored it. The data on the plate may well be correct. Guess we'll never know.

I spoke with Robert Escalante in Santa Ana today. He owns a Packard repair/restoration shop called Custom Auto Service. There is a sticker from his shop on the car. He does not recall the car, but could possibly search it out by engine number if we knew roughly when it came to Australia (or when it was last in California). Robert remembers Max Hood and said he thought someone here called Bruce Riston might have helped Max with the car and could throw more light on what was done after it arrived here. I don't know of Bruce Riston. Maybe others have come across him?

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/2 0:29
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Copy of my 1939 5 passenger sedan plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.86 KB)
733_5ca37a99d76fd.jpg 1080X1918 px

Posted on: 2019/4/2 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Another instalment. I now have the engine number of this car - it is B602481.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/2 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, that motor number makes a very good fit. Your body serial or theft-proof# is the next to highest known to me for a 1939 Twelve, and the highest numbered Twelve has motor number B602494.

Posted on: 2019/4/2 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Well it looks like someone will end up paying too much for this. The data plate is a reproduction and engine maintenance history/condition unknown. It's already bid up to about A$33K for a car needing a $20K paint job and potentially engine work. Good ones of these have been fetching US$40-45K recently. Think I'll pass!

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/4 1:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I question a lot of these Ebay things. There is nothing to stop phony bidding. Unless I knew the car personally I certainly wouldn't buy any of that stuff. And when a car looks bad on the TV or in the pictures then you can be sure it is ratty. I suppose there are fools out there buying this stuff.

After all, I like to joke that if you aren't smart enough to make a living doing nothing then you aren't as smart as overcompensated management.

Posted on: 2019/4/4 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Tim

Yes, well said. The auctioneers have latched onto the eBay model as a way to push prices up. The pics of the cars are taken under fluorescent light, which tends not to show paint flaws. I went to look at some of the cars. Many had very patchy paintwork from older restorations (including this Packard). You would not know that if you had not seen them. And they would not start them up, so it's a real shot in the dark mechanically unless you happened to know a recent owner personally.

Bottom line. They'd need to be cheap but they won't be.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/4/4 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Brian, I can fill in a few more details on that Packard at the Gosford auction if you would like. I have sent you a PM. Call me or let me have your number. I am in Sydney. David

Posted on: 2019/4/5 18:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved