Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"38 Packard Model 1701 on eBay fro $18,900 or OBO. Seems on the low side.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information

Posted on: 2019/4/2 20:20
 Top  Print 

Re: "38 Packard Model 1701 on eBay fro $18,900 or OBO. Seems on the low side.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
1701 is 1939 Eight and the car shown is also clearly 1939.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 1:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Let's do a reality check here.

I haven't seen it lately, but about a year ago a 42 160 seven passenger once owned by a deceased Navy admiral couldn't fetch $10,000 despite having had around $30,000 spent on it during the 1980's.

So how much can this dealer operator expect to get for this run down car with it's interior from JoAnn Fabrics, it's spray can painted dashboard, and worn out drive train?

I think the kindest word that can be applied is - nuts.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 6:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Skateboardgumby

Welcome back! Sometimes one has to simply ignore the uncivil on-line who use anonymity to hide behind. Fortunately, Big Kev has created and maintains a civil refuge for gentlemen interested in Packards.

As for the eBay offering, caveat emptor applies. This '39 1701 is a good example. Paint looks nice and shiny and the interior is serviceable but is not factory-correct. It looks like no one has done anything under the hood in a long time. Looking at the edges, dull dirty paint, dried-up rubber seals to say nothing of what can be seen underneath would reveal much more. There is also no substitute for driving the car to determine its true mechanical condition.

Prices for most pre-war collector cars are softening driven by demographic change. As the generation who prized these departs, their cars are left to a generation raised with non-involvement with cars. Carburetion, point ignition, 6V electrics, even manual shift are unknowns to them, defunct makes a mystery.

A better avenue to find yourself a good satisfying pre-war Packard is to join either the Packard Club or Packards International including your region. Get to know the members and their cars, let them know your interests. When a member with the car you desire makes it available, and you know its a good one, buy it. Good luck and again, welcome back.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/4/3 7:57
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Hi Steve!

Thank you very kindly for the kind conciliatory words. I appreciate it.

I would often get beat-up-on for making mistakes like I just did by not realizing the Packard in the eBay ad was a '39, not a '38. Hey, I'm not an expert nor do I know all the razor-thin nuances of the variant Parkard models, styles, years, etc. I often wished some forum members would have cut me a bit of slack when I'd goof-up or ask a question about something deemed "obvious."

Additionally, I'll NEVER be in a position to own a Packard because (a) I know nothing of auto-mechanics and would never be able to work on or trouble-shoot the inevitable mechanical problems that go with owning a classic car; and (b) I'll never have the financial resources. Hey, I'm a middle school special education teacher which should tell anyone my financial status.

I will only be able to enjoy Packards from afar. I do have the opportunity years ago to ride for about 15 minutes in a 1938 Packard 120 sedan.

Thanks again for being such a gentleman. I appreciate it.
Garrett M

Posted on: 2019/4/6 12:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm sure I speak for most people here when I say that you are welcome and even not owning a Packard, your love and appreciation of them is obvious.

Having said that, corrections aren't aimed personally at the person doing the posting but rather are a way for others who come along later and see the entry to get a better picture of the different years and models. It is simply a way of keeping a clear record.

Posted on: 2019/4/6 13:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Hi Skateboardgumby,

In my mind all questions are good, that's how I learn those little differences. I have seen a few unkind sounding comments, but mostly more gentlemen on this forum than any I have visited.

Don't give up on being a Packard guy, good things come to those who wait. I've had Packard cars twice in life now, a bit spaced apart. Dad's 23rd series when he purchased a new car around the time I finished high school, followed by a couple of 55 models early in married life when they were just "used cars" and a brand that had been discontinued. I always wished I had held on to them, but life gets in the way.

Now in recent years I'm Packard owner again, of course, now is past retirement age and I'm still waiting to catch up on more pressing projects and actually show the cars some attention.

Posted on: 2019/4/7 7:07
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved