Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Any ideas ??????????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2019/4/10 9:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Any ideas ??????????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How did they work, you ask?

Not very well would be my answer! Used them without much noteworthy success many times as a kid.

Posted on: 2019/4/10 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
What was it designed to do ?

Posted on: 2019/4/10 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I still have one. Bought it when I had an old MG-A and had to sync the carbs. A bit tricky but once you get the hang of it, they work pretty good. It is nothing but a basic device to make sure you have equal air flow through the carbs.

Posted on: 2019/4/10 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
I had an old MG-A and had to sync the carbs.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!! U sync the carbs on a MGA. YOUR GOOD !!!!

Posted on: 2019/4/10 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Barry (Packardbarry), to return to the main street, please find attached the ->operating instructions.

Copied from the web: "This carb synchronizer works on downdraft or side-draft carbs with neck sizes as small as 1-3/8" to as large as 3". Edelbrock sells a smaller "motorcycle" version for smaller carb necks."

Attach file:

pdf Size: 52.63 KB; Hits: 43

jpg  (36.32 KB)
757_5cae020d29d71.jpg 864X1010 px

Posted on: 2019/4/10 9:43
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had one and used it to balance the carbs on my '73 Datsun 240Z. Simple way to balance the air flow. One would place the device over the throat of the carb and note the location of the indicator while adjusting the idle mixture and speed. Then do the same on the other carb. Repeat until all carbs are the same. I guess it could be used in a single carb engine, adjusting for the best reading.

Posted on: 2019/4/10 11:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, seems like everyone else had good experiences with it.

Posted on: 2019/4/10 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
These are only needed if you have a multi carb setup, AND each carb fuels different cylinders. My porsche has 2 two bbl carbs, and each barrel feeds 1 cylinder. You have to balance airflow to each cyl so that each cyl is making the same amount of power. If the carbs are not in sync, the engine runs poorly and will vibrate and rock alot.
I can't imagine a need for this on any packard, unless it is a hotrod with multi carbs. Muti carbs are a big pain in the "you know what" but if synced properly very nice. Syncing is a lot of work. Tuning a 2bbl or even bbl on a packard with a vacuum gauge is much easier.

Posted on: 2019/4/10 15:01
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I have an inches of water gauge which can be lowered into the throat of each barrel to compare airflow.

However, to get things right first do a compression test, then a running compression test, and then check valve lash.

After that pieces of brazing rod can be used to set the throttles to exactly the same setting. Once that is done and the idle screws are set to the same setting the gauge can be used.

On the SU (Skinner Union) and Zenith side draft carbs the main jets can be sychronized using a dial indicator.

The last step is to find well to do customers who like to spend money. I found most people with money treated mechanics the same way they treat people at work - rotten.

It's so much nicer working in the professional environment. I see our clients closing down plants and it makes me sad because they are good people

Posted on: 2019/4/10 15:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved