Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: thermostat's
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I am a little confused/curious on James' comments re 38/39's not having cylinder head T-stats, 'just shutter stats'. My '39 Six (1700) has both. My understanding was the rad thermostat's sole purpose was to activate the grill shutters and had nothing to do with controlling the flow of coolant through the head and block - is this incorrect?? The head thermostat fits up in the rad-to-head housing and has a stainless sleeve to retain it in place. It is 160 degree and my take was THAT was what controlled engine operating temp. Do I need a refresher course on how Packard's cooling systems function???

Posted on: 2019/4/18 20:16
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just take note that you can also control engine temperature in liquid-cooled engines by controlling air flow to the radiator, no air thru the radiator = essentially no cooling.
That was a common method until the early to mid thirties and is still used on some stationary heavy equipment and highway trucks. My 1934 Eight has a shutter thermostat and no provision for a cylinder head thermostat. The growing popularity of higher boiling antifreeze (glycol replacing methanol) and hot water heaters replacing older type manifold heaters was a driving force in the change.

Bottom line, you could have one or the other, or both. Ultimately controlling coolant flow turned out to be more effective than controling air flow.

Posted on: 2019/4/18 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Ahhh, I see... thanks for the explanation. Is it possible the head T-stat in my car is an 'add-on'??? The reason I ask, is most thermostats I have ever dealt with, sit in a recess in the head or coolant intake lower housing and the rad-hose-bib casting fits over them and locks them down. I have never seen a setup where the thermostat actually fits up inside the hose spout. Thought maybe it was an 'attempt' at an after-market addition of a coolant t-stat??

Posted on: 2019/4/18 20:34
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know how yours should be configured, you might look for an illustration in the shop manual or parts list. However in some later engines Packard did mount the thermostat in the top of the cylinder head hose gooseneck and used several methods (sleeve or wire clip) to secure it in that position.

Posted on: 2019/4/18 20:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved